cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real cost of plan

randaya
I'm a contributor level 2

In 2018, i got iphone 8 64GB, paid about $250 up front after discount and S9 64gb, paid  around $350 up front after discount...was given a $55 5GB plan.   The phones at the time was in the 800-900price range if not mistaken.   So out of the $55 plan...approximately how much went to phone subsidy(monthly tab)?   

24 REPLIES 24

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Randaya,

There isn't a straightforward answer. It depends on which plan you had (ie large, medium, small, etc). The large plans would have had more subsidy incorporated than either the medium or small plans. Also, you mentioned a discount...

In addition, when you got your phones, the iPhone 8 would have been a year old while the Galaxy S9 would have been newer. That said, when released, both of those phones cost more than $900.

If you're currently looking to purchase a new phone, you should note that Fido has switched to a new Payment Program. You may need to change your current plan if you wish to finance a new phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

So just to add on...currently the iphone 8 is showing as having device balang of $15.83 and S9 $16.66 and would be $0 on April 18th.   So does that mean that the real cost of the 5GB plan is ~$40?

@randaya the cost of the plan is still $55, the plan is a subsidized plan you are mistaking it for a tab plan.

You are expecting the plan price to go down at the end of your contract which it will not.

randaya

Subsidy/tab...just a way for carrier to recover cost of device.  Are you really saying that the $500+ was given free of charge?  That is total ****...smells like one...looks like one...must be one

randaya

So in theory...I should be able to get a similarly priced device on the same plan..and instead of putting $350 or so up front...put that on a monthly addition ... of $10 and make an up front payment of $110...and make the total monthly $65+taxes

Hello again,

While you can calculate how much of a subsidised plan would go towards a phone, as @KAPABLE-K  mentioned, the cost of the plan remains the same at the end of your contract. With the subsidised model, the subsidy is incorporated into the plan (ie small, large, etc). On the other hand, with the tab model, the monthly plans and tabs are separate. Since the subsidy is incorporated into the plan, your plan does not automatically switch to a BYOP plan at the end of a contract. It remains your previous plan, should you wish to subsidise another device. If you did not wish to subsidise another phone, you would have to switch to a BYOP plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. That said, I don't believe Fido offers subsidised plans anymore.

@randaya wrote:

So in theory...I should be able to get a similarly priced device on the same plan...

Unfortunately, I don't think so. As mentioned above, Fido has switched from a subsidised model to a financed tab model. I believe you would need to get a new plan compatible with the Fido Payment Program.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

yes...i see that but the base price for plans are bloated...$55 for 4GB and then I have to pay another $35 on top for a $900 device....Was with them since 1997 when they were still microcell but had breaks in between as I was out of country for school and has been with them since 2006.   I know newer phones are are more expensive but do that math for a similarly priced device....

over 24 months my plan (5GB)  cost me 1320+350 for the device that had price of $900 at sign up -- $1670 total 

Now you are telling me that it is ok to pay $55 plan which comes with 4GB which is less....and also pay $30 a month extra on top?  1320 + 840 =2160 total for the 24 month contract?  ~$500 difference and with 2 lines...that is $1000 ...   Am I the only one that is seeing this?

Hello again,

Only you can choose the best option for yourself. Keep in mind that you're also comparing costs from two years ago. Not only has the cost of devices gone up, so have the cost of services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

Comparing to a similarly priced device ~$900 ..even if device price is higher by $100...so tell me this...if services cost has gone up... why is it that they are able to give some customers BYOD $50 with 15GB...but they can't give others a $40 5GB plan? best they can offer is $55 4GB?   does that make any sense?

Hello again,

The mobile providers often have various promotions. However, those promotions are only available for a defined period of time. If you're interested in obtaining a promotional offer, you might consider keeping an eye on their Promotions page.

You should also note that there are sometimes loyalty offers which have been mentioned in various forums. However, those offers are not necessarily available to all customers. The system would take into consideration many factors in determining what offers are available for any given customer.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

That is the frustrating part...they would rather offer you the best deals once you have moved to another provider than offer you the same deal while still shopping and making inquiries before a contract expires...do anyone at fido know what customer centricity is?   why wait for customers to get frustrated and leave before you offer the best deals? 

Hello again,

To clarify, the best promotional deals tend to be offered during the Black Friday or Christmas/Boxing Day periods. Promotional offers, are not available all the time. That's why they're promotional offers. If you want a better deal, you might consider waiting to find a better promotional offer. As mentioned above, you might consider keeping an eye on Fido's Promotions page.

While win-back offers are sometimes offered to customers who have switched providers, those are not promotional offers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

Win-back is a promotional campaign aimed at customers who has left.  They were offering 5GB $60 plan with $99 iphone x or $0 S9 sometime last year...

Why not give existing customer that sort of deal....go beyond...iphone 11 $200 or S10 for $250 ...whatever is the price difference between an S9 and S10....That to me is a good deal

competitor is offering iphone 11 for $175 down $23 monthly on a $40 5GB plan...that is $63 per month...and if I have 2 lines...that is $2 off per line $61 

Black Friday promotions...customer service reps pick and choose whom they will waive the device balance....I know several people that had close to or over $100 in device balance and was waived...whereas another person with $60 device balance rep wouldn't waive....inconcistency/favouritism sows frustration

Hello again,

As mentioned to you previously in a different thread, there can be significant differences between the providers and the services they offer which can reflect in the pricing of plans. With the competitor's pricing you noted are you sure data is available across Canada? Freedom is still a regional provider. According to the specifics of that plan, it appears as though data is not available on their Nationwide network with that plan. They often have more appealingly priced plans because they offer lesser service. 

When comparing the different offerings, make sure you're comparing similar services. Often you're just not paying for what you're not getting.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

randaya

yeah..freedom may not hove nationwide data coverage but for someone that rarely travel out of the gta it is very appealing...the point is that its sad that fido seems nkt care much while you are still a paying customer and the effort is given to win you back once you have left....why not put effort into keeping customers than trying to win them back...look at rfd and howards forums..lots of talk about fido retention and win back and customer service who says they are retention 

Hey there @randaya

We provide service to all our customers across the country. Due to this, our services can't be compared to freedom. 

We definitely appreciate your feedback and will be keeping it in mind. 

randaya

yes you provide service acceoss canada but i dont live accross canada....i live in gta...so your saying that plans are as they are partly because it allows customers to travel accross canada and not qorry about their data coverage?   so what about those that rarely travels out of their city let alone province...why should people that dont need the nationwide data coverage pay for services they wont use

Hello again,

@randaya wrote:..why should people that dont need the nationwide data coverage pay for services they wont use

You are more than welcome to find services which better suit your needs. However, expecting Nationwide provider plans to be more similarly priced to a regional provider's plan is not very reasonable. They still provide Nationwide coverage -- even though you might not use it.

Cheers

randaya

speaking like a true fido promoter.....you dont get the point..obviously they are paying you to promote and defend fido....

Hello again,

Nope! Not paid to promote or defend anyone...

**edit** I'm not here sway your decision either way. I merely provided information you may not have considered intially. It has always been up to you to choose what services best suit your needs**

Cheers