Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Wifi calling

juice71
I'm a participant level 2

Hello:

We have just purchased a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S.

How do we enable Wifi calling on this phone?

Please any help would be great!!!

Thanks!!!

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Juice71,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, do you have the global version of that device listed here? If so, these are the listed band/frequency specifications for that device:

GSM: B2/3/5/8
WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
TDD LTE: B38/40
FDD LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. It should be noted that FidoRogers does intend on decommissioning the 2G (GSM) network by the end of this year (see here). With regards to LTE, that phone would only have two compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the LTE networks, you should note that coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers as not all towers use all of the bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here. In addition,it should also be noted that the different bands/frequencies vary in their characteristics with the lower frequencies being able to travel further and better penetrate objects (see graphic here). That phone is does not have a compatible 700MHz band.

Now, while the phone should work on the networks, you should note certain features (ie Wifi-calling and voLTE) are only available with supported devices (see here). Since Xiaomi devices are not offered by Fido, it's unlikely those features will work. Fido has recently allowed those features on certain grey-market non-Fido devices (Samsung Galaxy devices newer than S8 and some LG devices). However, Xiaomi phones are not be considered grey-market devices and would not likely be supported.

Not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps 😀

Cheers

juice71

Thanks for the response, phone works great on LTE, my 2 sons have Xiaomi 9T pro phones for a year now and they have been fantastic.  This is why we purchased on for my wife.

There has to be a way to get the Wifi working though?

If I brough it into a Fido store maybe??

Hello again,

Glad to hear you're not having issues with the LTE network.

@juice71 wrote:...There has to be a way to get the Wifi working though?...

If you're referring to Wifi-calling, unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to get that working on unsupported devices. You might consider contacting technical services, however, it's unlikely they'll be able to get those features to work on that phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers