Wifi calling on Note 9

I'm a Contributor Level 1 NozMaximus
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Wifi calling on Note 9

I bought a Note 9 from Samsung a month ago and have been trying to get Wifi Calling to work, but to no avail.  Doesn't look like the Note 9 is listed on Fido's site on list of Samsung devices supporting Wifi Calling.  And at Step 3 "Click here to regiter for Wi-Fi Calling or to update your existing Emergency Address", it takes me a page indicating my device is not supported.

This device is 3 months old now, when should I expect this to be an officially supported device?

Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi calling on Note 9

Hello @NozMaximus,

Even if the phone was on the supported list it still would not. In order to have features like WiFi calling and VoLTE to work the phone needs to be purchased directly from Fido.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 26

You know what, I wish I pad more attention during that part, but I didn't look to see how the call was going out.

Sorry I don't have an answer as to how the calls were made when I put the Rogers sim in my phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 26
I'm a Contributor Level 2 danthemanx
I'm a Contributor Level 2

That's fine as long as the end result is provisioned IMS services...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 26

Good luck. 😬. Hopefully works out for you as well. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 26

Just tried exact steps described. It doesn't work so I'm not sure how you achieved what you say you did.

Used Rogers sim and everything. IMS services still not registered.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 26

@danthemanx,

How long have you been with FIDO?  Is your current phone the only one you have used with FIDO?  Or did you have a previous phone?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 26

@NozMaximus,

I've been with Fido since 2015. Had a Note 5 and a Videotron S7 that, for some reason, was able to get VoLTE working on somehow.

Why?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 26

@danthemanx , if your SIM card was used in an older phone, that somehow triggered an incorrect provisioning, you may need a new sim card as well.

I missed mentioning this, but I did get a new sim card at a store as well, because after spending lots of time with Fido tech support, to see why it worked for my wife's S7, but not my phone, one difference is that her SIM card was provisioned for VoLTE, and mine wasn't.  Now, when we first joined Fido a couple of years ago, my wife has the S7, and I had an international Note 4.  We got the SIMs together, but somehow mine was a LTE only SIM, while my wife's was a VoLTE SIM. They look identical.  Everything was activated at the same time.

So, before swapping SIMs with a non-Fido SIM to trigger the re-provisioning, I did get a new SIM card.  Sorry for forgetting to mention this.  I forgot this steps because I've done so many different things to try and get this working.

It doesn't cost anything, so worth a shot.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 26

A VoLTE sim card?? I've never heard that before.. So you went to Fido and said you wanted a new sim and that was free of charge?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 26

Yup.

I was explaining how I talked to tech support and they mentioned my current SIM card isn't provisioned right.... they didn't even let me finish my sentence and just handed me a new card at the Costco booth.

I don't think there is any charge for a new SIM card unless you call in to activate it.  If you activate online, no charge.  At least not that I know of?  I'll find out at the end of my billing cycle lol

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 26

@NozMaximus 

No such thing as a Volte sim.

If the phone is not purchased through Fido, the IMEI is not in their system as a Fido purchased phone so it doesn't provision IMS services. That's it. No magical sim.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 26

@danthemanx ,

I'm just relaying the information I was given, and recalling steps I went through.  Anyways, too bad you can't get your setup working.  Alas, perhaps another carrier is your only option left.  That or a new "Fido" phone.

Good luck.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 26