Wifi calling on Note 9

I'm a Participant Level 2 NozMaximus
I'm a Participant Level 2

Wifi calling on Note 9

I bought a Note 9 from Samsung a month ago and have been trying to get Wifi Calling to work, but to no avail.  Doesn't look like the Note 9 is listed on Fido's site on list of Samsung devices supporting Wifi Calling.  And at Step 3 "Click here to regiter for Wi-Fi Calling or to update your existing Emergency Address", it takes me a page indicating my device is not supported.

This device is 3 months old now, when should I expect this to be an officially supported device?

Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi calling on Note 9

Hello @NozMaximus,

Even if the phone was on the supported list it still would not. In order to have features like WiFi calling and VoLTE to work the phone needs to be purchased directly from Fido.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1
Solution

Hello @NozMaximus,

Even if the phone was on the supported list it still would not. In order to have features like WiFi calling and VoLTE to work the phone needs to be purchased directly from Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
MVP
MVP

Hello NozMaximus,

Welcome to the community!

While I do not have a timeline as to when Wifi-calling will be available for the Note 9 (or if it even will be available), you should note that there have been discussions about customers not being able to use certain services (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) with phones/devices not purchased from Fido because the IMEIs were not in Fido's inventory database. That said, someone was able to get Wifi-calling with their Note 8 purchased from Samsung Canada to work (see here). Unfortunately, it appears some others were not. It's possible that Wifi-calling won't work on your phone even when it does become available for the Note 9.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8

My wife has an S7 we purchased last year the exact same way, and its working fine with Wifi Calling and VoLTE.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8

So I guess the real question is, does anyone with a Note 9 have Wifi Calling working on the Fido Network, even if it was purchased through FIDO?

Also, my IMS registration status shows as "Not registered".  Anyone with a Note 9 have the IMS register on the network properly?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
I'm a Contributor Level 2 danthemanx
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@NozMaximus wrote:

So I guess the real question is, does anyone with a Note 9 have Wifi Calling working on the Fido Network, even if it was purchased through FIDO?

Also, my IMS registration status shows as "Not registered".  Anyone with a Note 9 have the IMS register on the network properly?

IMS services is what gives you VoLTE and Wifi calling. That's the reason you don't have them, that's why it says not registered. I have the same problem on my S9. They keep saying you have to purchase the phone through Fido which makes no sense. 

As a test, try this: take your SIM, put it in a phone that used to have these services working (purchased through Fido I guess) leave it in there until the services work on that other phone and even register wifi calling. Take your SIM back and put it in your Note 9, voilà! Your phone should say Registered now, but only until the network deprovisions it again not long after...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
MVP
MVP

Hello,

@danthemanx wrote:...They keep saying you have to purchase the phone through Fido which makes no sense....

They say they can't guarantee that a phone not purchased from Fido will work with those services. As NozMaximus noted in his previous post, his wife's S7 was purchased the exact same way (presumably also from Samsung) and is working fine with Wifi-calling and voLTE.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Nozmaximus....dont lose your time on phone for any help!!  here the true in your case

first..your phone is fully supported!!  i didn"t personally read anywhere that rogers/fido now support phone they didn"t sell

so..your problem is that your phone imei is not registered on their rolleyes system...since your phone is not registered...volte/wi-fi calling just dont work...in fact your phone is simply blocked from these feature...here"s the problem,  the customer service are not allowed to register your phone (imei) in their system..because of the rogers/fido politic...

so to make a long story short....to have these feature you gonna have to change your provider!!!  i personally experienced with 3 other provider...and all of them will give you these feature without any king of problem!!

so your the judge....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8