I bought a Note 9 from Samsung a month ago and have been trying to get Wifi Calling to work, but to no avail. Doesn't look like the Note 9 is listed on Fido's site on list of Samsung devices supporting Wifi Calling. And at Step 3 "Click here to regiter for Wi-Fi Calling or to update your existing Emergency Address", it takes me a page indicating my device is not supported.
This device is 3 months old now, when should I expect this to be an officially supported device?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi @NozMaximus I don't think that is entirely true. It's true that if you put someone else's SIM for a while it will provision IMS services which will let you use VoLTE and Wifi Calling but I've tried this in the past and it only works temporarily. Meaning after 10-15 minutes of putting your real SIM back in your phone, the network will end up deactivating these features again.
I've tested this many times before and it always deactivates VoLTE and Wifi calling again after a certain period.
There's two factors involved.
1. Did you use a sim from a different carrier?
2. What firmware was your phone running? This re-provisioning feature has only come about within the last couple of months. Before that, there was a crazy dance of various radio and factory resets to do to bring your phone into a state that it is ready to accept a new provisioning.
This is still working for me BTW. Over 2 days later.
@NozMaximus so I tried putting my SIM into a Fido purchased phone, trying the features. Taking my sim back and putting it in my non Fido purchased phone. IMS will be Provisioned for a bit but then it gets deactivated again.
You're saying put a Rogers sim in my non Fido phone?
Also what is your Samsung phone's CSC set to? FMC or RWC (Fido or Rogers)?
Correct. You have your Samsung unlocked phone, and your Fido SIM.
1) Take Fido Sim out.
2) Put in any other carrier's sim (Rogers, telus...etc).
3) Turn phone on.
4) Wait a few mins.
5) Make a couple of call on the non-Fido sim.
6) Shut your phone down.
7) Pop your Fido sim back in.
😎Turn your phone on.
9) Wait a minute or two.
10) Make some calls, VoLTE should work now.
11) Wifi Calling should work now.
But again, this re-provisioning is a recent firmware feature. Build number should end in CSE3 for Note 9.
And yes, I'm set to FMC (Fido).
Perfect. Will definitely try this! Hope it works.
I have FMC set as well with an unlocked Samsung S9 on latest build CSEA.
When you make the couple of calls with non-Fido sim, is VoLTE already showing? Or it'll only show when you put your Fido sim back in I guess?