cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail notifications on S9

Skinned
I'm a participant level 3

Does anybody else have a problem with Galaxy S9 voicemail notifications? It comes up even if there is no voicemail, and when there is deleting all messages doesn't make it go away. Clearing the phone app data and cache makes the notification and indicator go away but only temporarily. It's driving me crazy. My mailbox is currently empty.My mailbox is currently empty.

11 REPLIES 11

Skinned

Hello @FidoValeska

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately I can't follow this instructions. The S9 doesn't use the voicemail app, it has its own "Phone" app. Notifications cannot be turned off for it. Best I can do is "Silent and Minimized" Screenshot_20190328-085914_Settings.jpg

20190328_090003.jpg

Hey @Skinned!

Would you be able to try performing a full factory data reset to see if that changes things?

Let us know if that helps!

Skinned

Hello @FidoAmanda,

Unfortunately that doesn't fix the problem. I've reset factory reset it it twice; once before the Pie update and two weeks ago when I had my screen replaced. The issue has existed since the first day I was issued the phone running Oreo. It appeared to be brand new when I got it.

Let's try something else! 

Go to Setting> Apps > on the 3 dots (show system apps) > Look for phone. There a 3 phone apps listed, you can choose the first one, then click storage and clear data. 

Let me know if that works! 

Skinned

That does work, but only temporarily. The voicemail notification will eventually come back in time, even without so much as an incoming phone call, sometimes in a day or two, sometimes within an hour or two. I don't see any type of pattern.

Maybe it's worth noting that before this phone I used to have an iPhone and I had visual voice mail. I thought maybe something was wrong on the account end so I phoned in an had my add-ons looked at. No issues found.

Thank you for trying that out @Skinned

At this point, I would like to double check the add on on the account, just to make sure that everything is right on our end. 

I'll be sending you a PM shortly. 

Talk to you soon! 

Skinned

I fixed the problem. It appears to be a bug in the Samsung Phone app. I installed a modified version of the Google dialler that works with the phone, set it as default and then revoked all of the Samsung phone app's permissions. Problem solved.

I just came to post the fix here in case others run into the problem.

eworld
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

How do you do it?

I am getting notifications on SMS that someone has left a voice message but when I access the voicemail, there are no messages. It is frustrating

Hey @eworld,

Welcome to the community!

Did you try factory resetting your device? 

Sweet, thanks for sharing @Skinned ! 

FidoValeska
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Skinned

I can see how inconvenient it can be to keep getting that notification. 

Let's try these to disable and then re-enable the “show notification” option via the voicemail app settings. This fix is known to remove the ever persistent new voicemail notification. Here’s what you need to do:

• Firstly, access the “Show notifications” setting in your voicemail application by going to your Galaxy S9 Settings.
  • Here, find and open the Application Manager.
  • Navigate to all apps.
  • Scroll and find the Voicemail app.
  • Tap to open it and then deselect the Show notifications option.
  • Once disabled, tap the option to re-enable it.
  • Make sure to check “Show notifications.”
  • Reboot your Galaxy S9 and test that the voicemail works correctly by leaving yourself a test voicemail.

Keep us posted if that works! Smiley