cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE for Unlocked Phones

KAA
I'm a participant level 3

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 that I'm having trouble connecting to VoLTE. Even though I enabled the VoLTE option in the phone settings, the video call button is greyed out and just connects to a regular call if I press it.

The phone was originally with Telus and I had it unlocked to work on Fido. I also had it updated to the Fido firmware to ensure maximum compatibility with the network. I contacted Samsung and they told me that everything on the phone is set up correctly for VoLTE, so the issue is on the carrier's end. Also, my brother who is on Rogers put his sim into my phone and the VoLTE worked so I know that it is a Fido issue and not a phone issue.

The model is SM-G930W8 running Android 7.0 Nougat

4 REPLIES 4

KAA

How does Fido know that it is not a Fido phone if the hardware is the same? Nowhere on the VoLTE page is it stated that a non-Fido phone won't work

@KAA wrote:

How does Fido know that it is not a Fido phone if the hardware is the same?. ..

Hello again,

The IMEI of an unlocked device is not in Fido's database as a Fido device. As such, certain features that need to be registered might not work (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello KAA,

To further the above information, not only do both parties require voLTE in order to function, apparently both parties also need to be Fido or Rogers customers on the Fido/Rogers network.

voLTE.jpg

Taken from here.

If either party is on the 2G or '3G' networks, voLTE will not be accessible. If either party is roaming or using extended coverage, voLTE will also not be accessible.

Additionally, if the other party is on a different network, it doesn't sound like voLTE will be accessible either. I understand your brother is on Rogers so a different network should not be an issue between the two of you. However, since your phone is unlocked, are some features (ie voLTE and Wifi-calling) may not work properly.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@KAA Both parties needs to have VoLTE for it to work. The S7 is capable of VoLTE and WiFi calling and even though you unlocked the phone from Telus and change the CSC to Fido to ensure maximum compatibility it doesn't guarantee it will work because you did not get the phone from Fido the system will recognise it as a non-Fido device and those features I mention might not work even though the phone is capable of it.

Currently Fido is not supporting devices that was not bought from them, hopefully they will at some point in the near future. 

You can get more info about VoLTE here.