cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked phones

Roop1
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

An unlocked phone is the norm these days. I have an S7 from Fido and i am at the tail end of paying for it. During my visit to India, i decided to use a Indian Sim card, but the phone would not allow that because it is locked to Fido. Why is that ? So the phone is only usable in Canada ? I think that is **. Please somebody clarify. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

only recently canada is unlock laws were engaged. i had an s8+ fido phone that was locked, so any mobile older then S8+ will have to be unlocked via carrier.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Roop1,

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announced that as of December 1, 2017, all individual and small business wireless service customers will have the right to have their cellphones and other mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request. In addition, all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

So if you got your phone before December 1, 2017 then it will be locked and you will have to contact Fido to get the phone unlocked it does'nt happen automatically.

Once the phone is unlocked it will be usable on any network providing the phone has the compatible bands for the network you want to use it on.