cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble sending picture messages

jermyzy
I'm a participant level 2

I'm currently on Fido pay-as-you go.  On my old SE Cedar, I could attach photos to a message and send to another mobile phone normally like a text mesasge with no problems.  I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy ACE.  I tried to send a picture message but it's stuck on "sending" status, and can't seem to be sent.  I can still send text message no problem, but picture messages don't seem to be working.  Is this a problem with the phone or the network or something else?

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello jermyzy!

Here is some troubleshooting that will hopefully help you:

- Make sure that you have the proper APNs set up within your device:

Name: Fido Internet/MMS
APN: fido-core-appl1.apn

*** If you have a LTE device, use the following APN: LTEMOBILE.APN

Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS proxy : 205.151.11.13
MMS port : 80
MCC : 302
MNC : 370
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol IPv4
- Make sure that although you might not have a data option, your data is not blocked from your account
- Try to reset your phone's settings and set everything up once more afterwards
- Delete all messages from your outbox, inbox and draft box.

I would suggest that you try to send a picture message as soon as you have completed one of those steps (i.e.: do step one, try again, step two, try again, etc.).

If the issue persists, I would suggest that you try to put your SIM card in a Fido Android phone to see if the issue persists. If it does, the issue is with our services and you will require calling in to speak with an agent from our technical support team. If it does not, it would then be an issue with the phone itself or its settings. You would have to contact Samsung for further assistance.

Let us know! Smiley

PammyG1957
I am experiencing similar problems. Where do you find the APNs/

PammyG1957
ok. found it. But still can't sent a photo.

afterthefact
I'm experienced level 3
I'm experienced level 3

Hi PammyG1957,

In order to send picture messages (MMS) you must have data turned on (enabled) on your phone.  Since the message is actually sent over a data connection.  However, that being said, don't worry there are no additional data charges for sending a picture message (the cost for data is included in the cost of the picture message).

I hope that helps!

duncan1437
I'm a participant level 1

thanks for the help.  i had the same problem happen today with my motorola g5 plus.  i could send a simple word text, but it would not send if a photo or GIF was attached.

i went into 'settings' and then into 'data usage'.  the 'mobile data' was turned off.  i turned it on, and the problem's fixed.  

Hey duncan1437! Thank you very much for the feedback! And props for the resolution! 

Let us know if you have any questions! Smiley 

Crazyredhead71

I realize that the original question has been answered as I was all ready to offer the same resolution until I reached message 7/7.  My question now is WHY?  WHY does one have to use their Precious Data to send a "multi-media" text which may or may not contain a photo? It may only contain one emoji but because the text message may be a little extensive in it's content, Fido considers the addition of an emoji as "multimedia".  Hmm? 

MY Question is simply this...where is this stipulated in the contract? I am not saying that it isn't,  but I am asking where it is located?  My guess is that it is briefly mentioned somewhere deep in the fine print.  Can you please Direct me to it's location so I may have a gander? I would so very much appreciate this. 

Thank you so very much my Fido friends/friends at Fido. Do take care, Dawn. 

Hello Crazyreahead71,

Welcome to the community!

@Crazyredhead71 wrote:...WHY does one have to use their Precious Data to send a "multi-media" text which may or may not contain a photo?...

While your phone does indeed need to have data enabled to send/receive a MMS, you should note that the data contained within the MMS does not count against any precious data allotments. **edit** In fact, you don't even need to have a data plan to send/receive MMS** However, you should also note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data when travelling.

@Crazyredhead71 wrote:... It may only contain one emoji but because the text message may be a little extensive in it's content, Fido considers the addition of an emoji as "multimedia". ...

Fido does not make the determination whether a message is sent as SMS or MMS. It is your phone that decides. The SMS or texting protocol is strictly limited to 140 bytes. Depending on which character set used, the number of characters per SMS can vary. For example, the inclusion of an emoji reduces the number of characters (per SMS) from 140 to 70 (see here and here). In those cases, the phones sent each long message as multiple indivdual SMS. However, some phones automatically convert long SMS to MMS (see here). There may be a way to prevent your phone from converting SMS to MMS. If your MMS settings have MMS creation mode, the restricted setting should prevent the conversion.

The SMS and MMS protocol won't likely be stipulated in any contract as the mobile providers simply transmit what your phone sends.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @Crazyredhead71

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

The fact that multimedia messages use data is really just their nature. It's not possible to transmit an image the same way you'd transmit text. 

That being said, regular emojis such as the ones that come with the phone don't count as multimedia. When you send them a code that works as text is used to transmit the emoji. That wouldn't use your data. 

Hope that helps! 

Didier1

hi  i have a  galaxy s 7 edge  and  i have  a  fido  pulse  plan  and  i still cant  receive  or send  pictures on  my  phone  and  i have  my  data  on  (enable) and  my  apn  settings are  set  properly  as (http://mms.fido.ca) because  i  can browse  the  internet with  no issues now  any  other  suggestions  because  ive done  everything  to  resolve the  issue

Hello Didier1,

Welcome to the community!

@Didier1 wrote:...my  apn  settings are  set  properly  as (http://mms.fido.ca) ...

Just to clarify, did you set your APN as http://mms.fido.ca or is that the MMSC setting? Since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. Note that the APN name has been updated for LTE devices since the solution was provided in this thread. You can verify the proper settings here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers