Sharing data plan between iPhone & iPad??

I'm a Participant Level 2 asjen
I'm a Participant Level 2

Sharing data plan between iPhone & iPad??

I currently have the 6GB data plan on my iPhone 3GS, and am looking to buying the new iPad 2 soon.  Just wondering if I'll be able to share my exisitng 6GB data plan between both my iPhone 3GS and the iPad 2 (3G) devices??!!  This will determine if I buy the 3G or wifi verion of the iPad 2.

Thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Sharing data plan between iPhone & iPad??

It depends on how you want to share it. If you want to be able to access data on your iPad when you don't have you iPhone with you, then you are asking if your 3G iPad, with its own SIM, can access your iPhones data plan. The answer would be no, Fido does not have data sharing plans were data can be shared between two SIMs.

But, if you always have your phone with you, the iOS 4.3 will have Personal Hotspot, which turns your iPhone into a mobile wifi router. Using this will allow your iPad to access data through your iPhone using wifi.  

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

It depends on how you want to share it. If you want to be able to access data on your iPad when you don't have you iPhone with you, then you are asking if your 3G iPad, with its own SIM, can access your iPhones data plan. The answer would be no, Fido does not have data sharing plans were data can be shared between two SIMs.

But, if you always have your phone with you, the iOS 4.3 will have Personal Hotspot, which turns your iPhone into a mobile wifi router. Using this will allow your iPad to access data through your iPhone using wifi.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 14
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Femi
I'm a Contributor Level 1

If I purchased the IPAD 2 3g edition, will it work if I were to put my Fido SIM card ?

I currently also have a 6GB data plan.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 14
Former Moderator FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hello Femi,

In order to operate on Fido's network, a device must be:

- Running on the GSM (Global Systems for Mobile Communications) technology
- Compatible with the 1900 MHz and 850 MHz frequencies
- SIM unlocked

Please note that if your device has not been provided to you by Fido, we cannot guarantee that data and text message services will function properly, even if the voice service functions well, nor can we offer support.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 3 squawk7600
I'm a Participant Level 3

you cant with the 3GS..with iphone 4 if u upgrade to 4.3 and have a data plan >1GB u can use the Personal Hotspot feature

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 1 takobo
I'm a Participant Level 1

When fido will release ipad plan or data sharing plan? Fido offers 6gb plan, but we can't use it like others Robellus. Even Bell's VirginMobile does offer.  Hope a CSR can transfer this message to the decision maker.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 1 jmitchin

I have joined this forum because of my success working  with Fido today.

They increased my Data plan to 6 gigs at a very reasonable rate.

I purchased my wifi & 3g iPad 2 on Friday and wanted to connect with my iPhone 3 rather

than get a separate data plan for my ipad.

We were unsuccessful because all  I could get was Bluetooth and usb, no wifi.

As it turns out with OS 4.3 you get Hotspot and do not need wifi.

I was able to use bluetooth and it worked great.

With 4.3 tethering does not show up but is replaced with Hotspot, at least with my phone.

I can now give Fido five stars for great service.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 14
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Tethering was renamed Personal Hotspot and now includes sharing over wifi. With Personal Hotpot, you can use USB, BlueTooth or wifi to share your iPhones data connection. This is the same for all iPhone 4's running 4.3.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 14
I'm a Participant Level 1 Jatz

is there extra charge for sharing data betwwen iphone and ipad? (tethering)

i am looking into buying ipad 2 .. not sure if i should get ipad 2 3g or just wifi..

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 14
Former Moderator FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hello Jatz,

There is no extra charge to share data between your iPhone and your iPad via the personal hotspot, but you will require a 1 GB or more data option to do so.

Please however note that it is currently not possible to share your data option over 3G between two devices with two different SIM cards as it is not a service currently offered by Fido.

I hope that this answers your request.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 14