cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s6 restarting itself, apps crashing.

Annamcrobbie
I'm a participant level 3

Hi Fido community,

I recently purchased a new phone, the Galaxy s6. I was really excited as I had heard nothing but good things.

Unfortunately the reality is very disappointing. My phone restarts itself all the time (6x in the last hour alone) and there are constant 'Unfortunately app x has stopped working' messages (10 in the last hour).

I have tried starting in safe mode to check if it was a third party app causing the problem, deleting the app cache, wiping the cache partition, a soft reset, a hard factory reset. Unfortunately nothing works and the problems continue.

Obviously this is not sustainable and I need wither other suggestions on how to fix my lovely device or what the deal is to get it repaired. I live in Prince Rupert, BC, very far away from any Fido repair store and I need my phone for work. What are my options?

Thank you.

***Edited to add Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Annamcrobbie
4 fido reps including 2 fido managers have told me this is a known issue.

Annamcrobbie
Hi megan, after calling fido again, the manaGerman agreed to replace my phone. Which is great though I am still confused why Fido wouldn't warn it's customers of the known Android upgrade problems. I would certainly have avoided this Samsung product if I knew how much time and effort it would be to get a functional phone.

Hey Annamcrobbie! 

We don't have any reports that this is a known issue with the software update. I sent you a private message, talk to you soon. Smiley 

FidoMegan

Annamcrobbie
Someone on a different forum suggested reflashing w Odin. Any issues w that? I don't want to void my warranty or insurance.

Hi Annacrombie, 

If you are far from a store, we can send you a return enveloppe for the phone to be sent in for repairs. 

That said, if you are confortable flashing the phone I would try it first. It should not void the warranty as long as you flash it with a Samsung firmware. 

Anyone else has an idea for this? 

Annamcrobbie

Flashing with Odin did not work. I talked to Todd, a manager at Fido today, he guided me through the process of changing my mobile network and told me Samsung could help me change my Android 5.1.1 back to Android 5.0.2. Todd also advised me that there is a patch coming out at the end of Oct that will hopefully resolve these issues.

I am currently on the phone with Samsung and they have advised me that they can't help me change my Android system back to 5.0.2, it is not possible. They have also advised me that they think that my phone has hardware issues and I need to send the phone in for repairs. I live in Prince Rupert, BC which is quite isolated. Samsung tells me that they can't provide me a loaner phone, I have to talk to Fido. Fido tells me I have to physically go in to a Fido store to get a loaner phone. The nearest Fido store is in Prince George, a 12 hour drive or in Vancouver, a 600$ flight. I need my phone for work, no phone = no work. Going without a loaner phone is not an option. So neither Fido nor Samsung are willing to take responsability for a **bleep** product? And they are penalizing me for living in a rural area.

I am incredibly frustrated and disappointed with both Samsung and Fido. I have spent ~30 hours fixing this issue in my own time, I have had to use all my data as the phone's issues include disconnecting continuously from my home network. I can't simply return this incredibly expensive brick as I am out of the return period, despite these issues stemming from an update that occurred outside of the the repair period.

What else can I do? What can Fido do for me to show that they value me as a 16 year customer of their products?

***Edited for language***

Hey Annamcrobbie! 

I'll send you a PM so that we can look into this further together! Smiley 

Annamcrobbie
Thank you for your speedy response and for adding labels to my post. Anything else I should do to make troubleshooting easier?

FidoKenny

Hello Annamcrobbie and welcome to the Community.

@community: Anyone having those issues?