cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/mms are slow

Mgleboff
I'm a participant level 3

Why is sending sms and mms very slow sending and I don’t receive all messages in my Samsung galaxy s7? I’ve tried texting my own number and never received it. 

I have also reset my device twice and it never did anything either. 

10 REPLIES 10

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Mgleboff & welcome to the Community!

How long has this been going on for? Have you had the chance to test your SIM card in a different phone?

Let me know. Smiley

Mgleboff

Since I received the phone last week from Fido. I’ve reset it and nothing. Fido has rest network settings on there end a few times and doesn’t do anything! My SIM card works proper in another phone. 

I'm baffled. 

Anyone else on the Community experience this? Any ideas? 

@Mgleboff: All your other services are fine? It's just sms and mms?

Is it possible a third party app may be interfering? 

skilz
I'm a participant level 1

Same on my Galaxy S7 Silver Titanium, i got it used and unlocked from Virgin mobile. The sms and mms are slow they take like 5 or 6 secs or more. I went to the Fido outlet in a nearby mall, they dont know about the issue(no technical or IT people, just retailer-ish) , and claim that its an old phone.😐.

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @skilz

Welcome to the Community!

From what I can tell, it sounds like your MMS and SMS are functioning as it should. It it normal for there to be a delay of a few seconds for messages to be transmitted, especially in the case of MMS that need to be downloaded. 

That said, Have you tested your SIM card in another device, a Fido phone, to see if there is any change in how your SMS/MMS are sent/received?

Let us know!

Mgleboff

Yes it seems to be only sms and mms. Fido is replacing my phone cause they think it’s the software.. since trouble shooting didn’t do anything. 

@Mgleboff Alright, keep us posted!

Was this resolved @Mgleboff? Let us know how, I'm sure the info will be helpful to others! 

Superman

Fido slows down transmitting MMS when you're behind in your bill (I'm speaking about those with the free MMS plan but get charged for SMS - yes, I found that out the hard way) roughly as follows:

Current with your bill: ~90-100% of MMS go thru the first time without resending

One month behind:~50-75% of MMS will   "         "        "       "

Two months behind: ~25-50% of MMS go thru the first time   "         "        "       "

Three months or over: almost all sent MMS get stuck at 'sending' and won't be transmitted (maybe 1% will go thru and resending doesn't help here).

Bring your bill back to no more than one month behind: MMS will work again

In all my years with Fido, the above seems to always be the pattern (%'s listed above are very approx.).

I've never had an issue with my SMS's not going thru but even with the free MMS plan you will still be charged .20¢/ea.per message.

I do not have a data plan.

OP, were you behind in your payments?

Hey Superman,

Welcome to the Community Smiley

I'm not sure where you got those numbers, but I can assure you that's not the case.

If you have a past due amount, there is a process that we follow. It depends of the tenure of the account, the amount due and the general credit score. 

It's possible that following a missed payment your data access is suspended, we won't slow down the transmission of your MMS.

If you're experiencing a situation were you're getting failed messages when sending your MMS, it would be good to contact us! We'll look into it with you Smiley