cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S7 Edge dead after Nougat update

serag
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Updated my S7 edge to Nougat today, and it booted up to home screen.  It would lock up and reboot, and go into boot loop for a bit, but was finally able to get it up and running.

It stayed working for a few hours, then while using it, shutdown and is stuck at black screen, Blue LED fully lit, and none of the button combo's to reboot phone (power button + volume down) or other ones work to reboot phone.

Phone had a fully charged battery, so waiting for the battery to die will take days...

Is there anything else i can do or that Fido can do?

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

serag
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

As stated, I had tried all the different button combo's to force reboot and none worked, also tried removing sim, hooking up to pc and samsung cable and wall plug, and they all did nothing..phone would not do anything.  The blue LED was lit up on top of phone, and screen was black.

Ended up taking it to Fido store, and they did absolutely nothing....

Went to Ubreakifix in DDO in Montreal (they are affiliated with Samsung) and they were able to connect it to there Samsung Diagnostic machine and that forced it to reboot and it came back to life...and has been working fine ever since...and they didn't charge me anything.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Have you tried connecting it via USB to your PC or Mac and seeing if Kies can recognize the phone being connected?

ravedave2
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

did you try HOME + POWER + VOLUME DOWN OR VOLUME UP ?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@serag you have to hold the buttons for at least 10 seconds, try some of the troubleshooting tips here,

serag
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
i had used that site and tried everything, but phone didn't respond. Only other fix i've heard of for this same issue is to let battery drain so it shuts down...but my battery was fully charged so that would have taken quite awhile

@serag Glad you got it working back, you can also clear the cache partition to avoid any future problems.

serag
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Update... Phone has been constantly dieing, shutting down, and then locking up and getting hot.  Have to wait for battery to die before i can attempt to bring it back to life...as that usually takes awhile, with a couple more lockups.

Sent log files to Samsung and they say it's a hardware issue, and to take it in to be "diagnosed" $$$

Find it funny that it worked fine on Mashmallow and didn't have any issues what so ever, but as soon as it updates to Nougat, it starts having these hardware problems

I did have the OS downgraded to Mashmallow, and it started working fine, didn't have any problems at all, and stupidly re-updated to Nougat (since it kept nagging me) and problems started back up.

Thinking it's time to leave Samsung and go back to Apple..

Hello @serag,

Since you did the downgrade that tells me you know how to flash the ROM manually.

Try this, factory reset the phone from recovery then flash the Nougat ROM after it completes do a factory reset again and then see if the phone work normal after that.

Make sure you are flashing the correct file for your phone because Samsung have many variants of the S7.