cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS update on unlocked phone

ChaitanyaD
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G phone unlocked with AT&T screen showing up at the time of boot up. Thats why, I presume, its an USA unlocked phone. I bought it at Walmart. The phone works well on Fido SIM card, other than, it came with Android 10 out of the box but it doesnt update the OS. When I do the software update check, it says software is up to date. Can anypne help?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello ChaitanyaD,

Welcome to the community!

I understand you purchased the device from Walmart, however, as you note, it does appear to be an AT&T version. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to update the OS in Canada. According to the AT&T website, the device needs to be in the US and on their wireless network. That information seems to be confirmed by AT&T Support (see here).

You may be able to flash the device with the updates. However, it would not be recommended if you are not familiar with the procedures as it could permanently render the device unusable. I'm also not sure if the update version specific for your device is available to flash. If you are interested in updating your device in this manner, you would need to search out the procedure for yourself.

Not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps! 😀

Cheers

Hello again,

To add to my previous reply, I neglected to mention that while that version appears to have many of the compatible bands/frequencies, you should note that since that device is not the Canadian version (SM-N981W), it's unlikely certain features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) would be supported.

GSM/EDGE (2G)850, 900, 1800, 1900
HSPA/UMTS (3G/4G)850, 900, 1900, 2100
4G LTE (Domestic)2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 18, 19, 28, 29, 30, 46, 66

~taken from here.

You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Hope this helps 😀