cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia - HMD Global

Metriadi
I'm a contributor level 1

Hey guys, new to the forum but not new to phones nor Fido. Happy to be here.

recently purchased an Amazon Nokia 6 (2017) and was excited. I have always been interested in their phones (and Blackberrys), so to see them coming back is definitely good.

Unfortunately, they have not made it possible for Fido users (and I guess to a larger part many in the States as well) to use their phones. Their LTE bands would suggest Fido/Rogers LTE usage is possible but in fact the opposite is the case. It is not able to get onto LTE and is instead stuck on 4G. If I had know this, I would not have bought it.

Samsung/LG/Sony and many other put an exceeding number of **bleep** software on their phones to sell the brand, Nokia doesn't and install basically a stock Google Android. It is a true shame that they have not had the forethought for customer in North America, they are putting their entire company efforts into the south Asian countries.Crying

8 REPLIES 8

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

There is a reason why Nokia phones are not popular in NA markets. The Nokia phone you have on your hand is probably for other markets except NA so it will not work as efficiently compared with phones available locally.

Whether the phone manufacturers put additional software (properly called "Bloatware", not "Bleep". Remember trucks make "bleeping" sounds when they are backing up. You are not driving so there is no need to make such sounds) has nothing to do with it.  You can disable or uninstall most of them anyway. 

If you want a pure Android experience Google has been making phones and sold them under the Nexus and Pixel lines. Furthermore, some phones made by Asus or Acer have pure Google OS inside.  All you have to do is look.

Metriadi

hahaha, what you thought was bleep was the forum censoring my swearing. yes I know what bloatware is and it is bleep annoying. that's **bleep**ing hilarious. see, that's **bleep** again.

I tried the Google route but their retail is always double what everyone else is selling for. as far as I know, the unit I got from Amazone is meant for AT&T/T-Mobile so I believe it's a LATAM unit rather than an internation unit.

I did not know Asus do stock Android, if you have some model numbers you are thinking of please pass it on.

Hello Metriadi,

Welcome to the community!

@Metriadi wrote:...as far as I know, the unit I got from Amazone is meant for AT&T/T-Mobile so I believe it's a LATAM unit rather than an internation unit.....

I understand Amazon notes (AT&T/T-Mobile) for those phones, however, I'm not sure whether the phone is LATAM or merely supposed to be compatible (at least partially) for use on those networks. Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile list any Nokia phones. Also, this Amazon page notes (AT&T/T-Mobile) yet BK notes it's the European version (see customer reviews here).

In addition, there appears to only be one version of that phone (see here). Judging by those specifications,

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)

that phone only has one compatible LTE band/frequency. Does your phone have additional bands/frequencies?

I understand the Nokia 6 (2018) might have a LATAM version (see here). However, that doesn't necessarily mean their previous versions also had LATAM versions.

@ravedave2 wrote:

LTE is a form of 4g ..

If it is the phone is from Europe, then it likely denotes LTE as 4G. Long Term Evolution (LTE) is a North American term for fourth generation technology. Most of the rest World simply use 4G for the same technology. I understand that 4G is occasionally used to represent a data connection to the UMTS (WCDMA) network using the HSPA+ protocol. However, most phones which represent LTE as 4G usually use H+ when connected via HSPA+. You should be able to verify to which band/frequency your phone is connected under your phone's status. Alternatively, there are apps similar to LTE Discovery which should also provide that information. If your phone is connected to Band 7 (2600MHz), your phone is connected to the LTE network.

With regards to the difference in speeds, you should note that there are many factors which can affect data speeds. Using the same phone at the same location at different times can also produce varying data speeds.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Metriadi

after much gnashing of teeth and product review, I have purchased a dtek60 to use on the Fido network instead of a Nokia phone. This sucks.

I will have LTE but still won't have the other things other Fido users take for granted like HD voice or VVM. Oh  well.

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I agree. Google's phones are quite $.

Here's the link to Asus phones : https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Phone/ZenFone-Products/

You can buy them from memoryexpress, staples, and a few other places.

Have fun and good luck.

Metriadi

okay that's fine that Nokia can't rise up to the occasion, do you guys know of any good stock Android phones available that will be able to use the Fido's 3 LTE bands?

ravedave2
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

LTE is a form of 4g, i doubt it makes any difference in real life usage, i mean maybe that 0.1second faster loading speed on a webpage is important to some..?!

Metriadi

you are somewhat correct, I will concede that part of me is just being **bleep** but if I've paid for a LTE phone and I am not getting it, why did I spend the money?

additionally though, I did a Fido speed test, my LTE sim-card on my BB DTEK50 gets 37Mbps and I used that same card today on the nokia and i got 20Mbps...lagging behind a bit...