cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextradio can't access FM radio receiver on Galaxy s10 after Feb 21 updates

Frankvz
I'm a participant level 2

Next radio cannot access FM radio receiver on Samsung Galaxy s10 after latest Galaxy s10 February 1, 2021 updates (2 of them), released Feb 2 and 23 respectively (installed in March). Message is "FM Radio is Unavailable Sad /  We'd love to bring you local FM radio, but NextRadio doesn't hae access to the FM radio receiver in yur device. Let your wireless carrier know that you'd like to listen to free FM radio on your phone with NextRadio!"

I clicked on the app's link to the app owner, but the website is not available. I uninstalled and re-installed the app and I received the message above.

The app was working well before I accepted Samsung's update.

The latest updates installed are for  "Security patch level February 1, 2021":

1. Version: G973WVLU4FUA2 Release Date: 2021-02-02

2. Version: G973WVLS4FUB1 Release Date: 2021-02-23

I need help or a solution that will work. There is an FM Radio receiver in my phone; I do not want to consume my data plan on streaming FM when I can tune my local FM broacasts using the phone's own built-in hardware.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Frankvz!

It does seem that NextRadio has been decommissioned as their website is no longer accessible - we suggest reaching out to them directly in order to get more information. 

On our end, we understand that listening to music on your phone is important. There are tons of apps available where you can do that and many of them allow you to save your music so that you can listen offline and not use up data! Some of my faves are Spotify or Apple Music, you can always check those out!

I hope that info helps out Smiley 

Frankvz

Hi FidoNick,

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, it's not actually what I am looking for. 

I do have my offline music and my apps that I use to search for new music.

The point is that I listen to live local radio broadcasts like news, documentaries, interviews, debates, morning or evening shows, etc. I want to continue to listen to them live while I do other things, without having to use streaming and consume my data plan, when I know that it's free over the airwaves. I don't want to have to search for the recorded versions (podcasts, etc.) later either.

There isn't much information on how to reach out to NextRadio. It's doubtful they are even in business anymore. Theirs was the only app left that actually used the FM Radio hardware in smartphones. Samsung stopped producing a native Radio app long ago.

However, this current issue was not introduced by the app, but by a change that Samsung made as a result of their latest update.

The actual solution that would help would need to be any of these options:

a. Engage Samsung to fix what they have broken in the radio interface with their latest update; maybe in their next security update.

b. Find a way to get in touch with NextRadio if there is anyone who can update the app; perhaps an email address or another website.

c. Point to another app that uses the native FM radio hardware in the phone. I have looked and have not found one. A few apps claim to do it but in reality they don't. If anybody knows of one that actually works without using data streaming, it would be great.

Thanks again,

Frankvz

Thank you for sharing this feedback @Frankvs. In situations like this, the best approach would be contacting the manufacturer directly to share your feedback about their OS updates.

This can usually be done directly through their website.