Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need information on what happens to my iPhone device

MeenakshiEkre
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

I purchased an iPhone with contract with Fido sim from best buy. Before returning to India I paid full amount shown on the account to be paid. I thought I paid the full price but since past 2 months I have been getting Fido bill. Now I am unable to pay the due. I have changed my sim to local and not using Fido sim anymore 
what happens now to the device if the amount due is ever unpaid?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MeenakshiEkre,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. So any information we provide may or may not be applicable. As suggested below, for a more definitive answer, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

That said, I understand you paid what you thought was the full amount for the device. That certainly is possible. However, when financing a device, you would have had a post-paid plan. Those types of plans would continue (regardless of whether you actually use the services) until you cancel your services. Had you cancelled your services when you left for India? It's possible those bills you have been receiving have been for the monthly services. You would need to contact customer service to cancel your services. They do offer a contact number to use when abroad.

On the other hand, if there still is an outstanding balance on your device, I don't think Fido will blacklist a device due to non-payment. Only a customer can request an IMEI to be blacklisted. If an account has defaulted, all costs are charged to the account (including the cost of phone). If the payments remain unpaid, the account would go into collections (see here).

If you're having difficulties paying your bill, you might consider contacting the credit operations team to make a payment arrangement. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement may not be available in some situations.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @MeenakshiEkre , if I understand correctly, you returned to India with an outstanding balance on your account. You purchased a device and plan and still owe payments. In theory,  an unpaid account can be treated in various ways. Most likely a bad credit hit and one scenario could be a blocked IMEI for the device. That would be determined by the credit department. You could contact customer service and speak to fidosolutions on Twitter or one of the methods mentioned Here and let them know your situation. 

I hope you are able to settle the issue with a positive outcome for both parties.