NFC SIM Card

I'm a Participant Level 2 uyyut123
I'm a Participant Level 2

NFC SIM Card

When will Fido have NFC SIM cards available? 

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: NFC SIM Card

Hey uyyut123, no word on that yet. If we have any updates, it'll be posted on Fido.ca. 

Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 40
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Armani
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I just saw some great new regarding future NFC sim card availabilty for Fido customers on a Rogers Forum by a Rogers Rep. It's really strange that Fido Reps have no idea here!!!

Check the comments section of the post:

http://redboard.rogers.com/2015/06/23/were-bringing-the-suretap-wallet-to-all-of-canada/#comment-798...

rogers.JPG

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 40
I'm a Participant Level 3 hey_tommy
I'm a Participant Level 3

That NFC SIM cards are "on the roadmap" is not in question - it's simply inevitable, in the same way that LTE was slowly introduced and became a defacto standard. Both Bell and Telus' value sub-brands, Virgin and Koodo, already offer NFC SIM's, as does Rogers Wireless itself. I don't know about Wind/Mobilicity/etc, but if they don't yet have NFC SIMs, it's only a matter of time before they do.

Mobile payments aren't going anywhere BUT forward - and since NFC SIM cards are a prerequisite (they're involved in the encryption chain), it's only a matter of time before Fido has no choice but offer them.

As far as the market, the competition, and all of us are concerned, that time is NOW. RogersCo, however, are taking their sweet time, because... well, because they can. What probably started off as a feature differentiation between premium and value brands (i.e. Rogers & Fido) when NFC SIMs were first introduced 2+ years ago, now just looks like poor prioritization / lazyness on RogersCo/Fido's part.

Question now is - how many more months/years until this tortoise crawls to the finish line?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 40
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I already asked on the French-speaking forums, but there isn't much activity over there:

What are the advantages of NFC payment over just using a credit card? From what I can find, none. It's easier/faster to use a credit card and I still need to carry that card anyway because there's a limit on contact-less payments.

I have no objections to NFC payment; I just can't see a scenario where I'd be using it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 40
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Armani
I'm a Contributor Level 2

It was in question for me because there was no indication anywhere from Fido. My problem was not with the nature of the task but with the lack of knowlegde from Fido employees.. 

Now at least we know its in works but yes they are really slow at an unacceptable rate. Pretty much every other carrier has it now except maybe Wind.   

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 40
I'm a Participant Level 3 ciao_hi

The banks are now starting to adopt HCE (host card emulation) and moving away from NFC SIMs (RBC was first, now TD), so the point of having/not having NFC SIMs maybe moot.

Apple Pay also does not use NFC SIMs.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 40
I'm a Participant Level 1 cagrunner
I'm a Participant Level 1

Does Fido have any plans to rollout the NFC SIM card? Not asking for dates, just asking whether or not Fido would ever support NFC technology.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 36 of 40

Hey cagrunner!

Welcome to the Community!

No word yet. Keep an eye on Fido.ca for an updates. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 37 of 40
I'm a Participant Level 3 ciao_hi

Now that:

- Apple Pay launched in Canada and does not use NFC SIM

- Suretap has packed up and gone home

- RBC and TD migrated to Host Card Emulation (HCE)

- UGO started to use HCE (instead of NFC SIM)

- Android Pay (rumored to be launched in Canada later this year) is also based on HCE

There are little points in offering NFC SIMs.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 38 of 40
I'm a Participant Level 1 Sellig
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello everybody,

Mu phone got NFC built in and my bank offer the app to pay with a phone. Greay I use it all the time.

My question is, if your phone is not equipped with NFC like most of them can the NFC SIM card allow to use payments by NFC?

Thanks.

If yes NFC SIMs have a full value.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 39 of 40
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

That's a good question @Sellig Smiley 

@Community anyone know? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 40 of 40