Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintain the phone number when moving out of Canada

EswarYadav
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hello Fido,

I may be out of Canada for a couple of months to an year. I would like to keep my phone number active during this period. Though I don't expect to receive/make calls during this period. I would like to have same number when I visit back Canada. What are the best options I've in this case.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello EswarYadav,

Since you note you do not expect to make/receive calls while abroad, Fido does offer a temporary suspension for a reduced rate on eligible lines. To update, however, you should note that the suspension is now only available for a period of 1 to 6 months. It should also be noted that the monthly fee for the temporary suspension may have increased since that post.

As far as I am aware, I think you might be able to manage your temporary suspension via your My Account --> View Usage & Manage. From your Dashboard, the option to Manage temporary suspension is near the bottom of the page, under Quick Actions. If you are unable to do so online, you would need to contact customer service.

That said, it should also be noted that your phone number would not be active during the suspension. If you did need your number to be active, the temporary suspension would not be an option.

Previously, another option would have been to migrate your services to pre-paid. However, Fido pre-paid is no longer available for new customers (see here). If you still wished to switch to pre-paid services, you would need to consider an alternate provider (ie Chatr / Rogers, etc) and port your number to them.

You should note, though, there would still be regular monthly charges and/or require regular top-ups to keep funds from expiring. While you would likely not be able to avail of Fido pre-paid, you can get an idea of how the top-up and expiries work here.

Others have also mentioned porting phone numbers to various voIP services for the same purpose. However, they also would likely have regular monthly charges. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with those services to comment on them any further.

If you choose to port your number out of Fido, you should note that upon your return, you would not be able to regain your current Fido plan. You would need to opt for an in market plan when you return.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers