cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance charges for use of WhatsApp

IK11
I'm a participant level 2

In September we used WhatsApp several times to make some long distance calls to an international airline. I received the Fido bill with $78. worth of charges. The calls were done on the app using WiFi. There is no other way to use the app and no way to call the numbers I called except on WhatsApp. I have retried using my Fido phone and my land line to call the number in question and in fact it does not connect.. The number can ONLY be called through WhatsApp. 

I have spoken to 3 agents at Fido who claim I used Fido and there is nogthing they can do as it was my mistake. In fact there is no mistake- somehow Fido phones are redirecting WhatsApp calls to their system at $2.50/minute.  There is either a huge technical problem at Fido or something very fishy is going on.

10 REPLIES 10

Harjashan

Thy have charges me multiple time snd i have paid it before . One time it was $80. Now last 4-5 monthe evey month there is a charge. This time its $25 extra. Nd they keep saying whtsapp using network. Whatsapp is owned by META they make it sound like its some third world country app that is not credible. They cannot dictate what apps to use or not. Its our device. Fido is only used for calls nd internet . Now they have strtd charging for whtsapp calls whoch happens when network is down which is also theirs. SUCH A BIG FAT SCAM. People like me mainly calls through whatsapp. WHAT'/s next charges for texts and videos nd files send through whstapp or charges for sending emails. Bcz network was done its used the carrier to do that and pay bills in $500-$1000. 

Also they delet your messages when you point it.

Hello Harjashan,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you have incurred unexpected charges. 

@Harjashan wrote:

....They cannot dictate what apps to use or not. Its our device...

You're right. Fido (or any mobile provider) cannot decide what apps customers choose to use on their devices. However, as mentioned below, they also have no control over how apps work or your device itself. Phone companies cannot divert calls from within apps to cellular calls. The mobile providers do not decide which calls go over their networks. That determination is made entirely by the phone. They merely connect calls which the phone request to be made. In your case, it appears as though WhatsApp is making the calls over the cellular networks (see below). 

@Harjashan wrote:

... instagram nd snapchat whoch kets you do calls video nd voice...

If other apps also divert calls to cellular networks if the internet is deemed insufficient, then yes, it is possible those calls could also be counted as cellular calls rather than data. On the other hand, if the apps can only transmit those as data, then those calls/videos would be choppy or not be able to transmit at all. As you note, those apps are not owned nor were developed by Fido. They have no control on how they operate. It would be the customers' responsibility to know how their devices and the apps they choose to use work. 

@Harjashan wrote:

... WHAT'/s next charges for texts and videos nd files send through whstapp or charges for sending emails. ..

Messages and videos (and emails) can only be sent as data. If you are not connected to Wifi, that data could transfer via cellular data. Any data used would be taken from your plan allotment. If you do not have a plan which included Data Overage Protection, you may incur data overage charges if you exceed your data allotment.

As previously mentioned, one suggestion would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Harjashan

Oh nd why stop at WHATSAPP. Meta also owns instagram nd snapchat whoch kets you do calls video nd voice. You can fraudulently charges your customers cor those too. By saying network was down  all went through our carrier. See so much more scope of making money guys.

mhskibum
I'm a participant level 1

Same thing happened to us for a WhatsApp call to Chicago from London Ontario. I'm supposed to call back when my bill comes through. 

Kiran1231

This happened with me too. Does anyone know how to stop diverting whatsapp call to Fido system?

Hello Kiran1231,

Sorry to hear you might have incurred unexpected charges. As previously mentioned, if WhatsApp makes the call using cellular networks, the providers will transmit it as a call over the cellular networks. They have no control over how apps work. You would need to contact WhatApp to see if there is a way to prevent transferring calls to cellular networks.

Also previously noted, one suggestion would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

rajnitomer
I'm a contributor level 2

@Cawtau This is what I find absolutely unfair. You're someone who's aware of all the protocols and policies. With technology advancing on a day-to-day basis, how are expecting everyone to keep track of exactly what's going on? Are you sending emails regarding such updates? If you're not, then you have to be able to help the customer and take care of them, especially when they've been with you for years.  

It's absolutely crazy to charge someone $2.50 a minute when they have no idea they're getting charged. This thought process needs to change and phone companies need to finally be accountable for their share. You know what you're doing. Sometimes the people on the other end genuinely don't. Where has humainty gone?

rajnitomer_0-1633911460852.jpeg

Hello Rajnitomer,

Sorry to hear you've accumulated unexpected charges. I understand some people might not be aware that some apps use cellular services when a Wifi or data connection is insufficient. However, it's the customers' responsibility to know how their devices and the apps they use work. As mentioned previously, the mobile providers only transmit what a customer's phone sends. If WhatsApp makes a call using data, the providers will transmit data; if WhatsApp makes the call using cellular networks, the providers will transmit it as a call over the cellular networks.

Yes, I might now be aware of some of the protocols and policies. However, there was a time I didn't know any of them either. I don't work for Fido so my knowledge has been accumulated over experience and research. Ignorance is only overcome by learning and collecting information. When I first started, my knowledge base was limited. Now, I try to share what I have learned over the years.

Cheers

rajnitomer

I absolutely understand where the company is coming from. I've worked for Rogers/Fido myself and the reality is that elders are neglected from all of these processes and disregarded. It's impossible to keep track of alllll of the things that are happening on top of a pandemic over your head. Fido needs to calm down and stop ripping people off and understand that sometimes things happen and to charge someone 3000$ on long distance is insane especially when its connected to a promotion. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello IK11,

The issue you've mentioned isn't the fault of the mobile providers. It happens across multiple providers. WhatsApp seems to be the culprit. While it's not mentioned on their website, it appears as though the app will automatically switch to using mobile airtime minutes (within the app) if it deems the internet connection is too slow for voice calls (see here and here). It should also be mentioned that other messaging apps may also behave in a similar manner.

One suggestion would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

@IK11 wrote:..somehow Fido phones are redirecting WhatsApp calls to their system at $2.50/minute...

Phone companies cannot divert calls from within apps to cellular calls. The mobile providers do not decide which calls go over their networks. That determination is made by the phone. They merely connect calls which the phone request to be made. In your case, it appears as though WhatsApp is making the calls over the cellular networks. Not connecting to the networks (ie Airplane or Flight mode) should prevent that from happening.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers