cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Advanced/Carrier Aggregation

kevinj1
I'm a contributor level 1

Does Fido have carrier aggregation, and if so, in which configurations?  I have an M4 Aqua I bought from Fido, and I have never seen it on anything but AWS (1700/2100 aka Band 4).  I know it also supports LTE bands 7 (2600mhz) and also 12/17 (700mhz).  Does Fido support LTE-Advanced like it's parent company?  Also, I am in Ottawa, which on rogers coverage does not have LTE-Advanced.  Odd, since we were the launch market for Rogers LTE in 2011.  Supposedly, Rogers has aggressive LTE-Advanced rollout plans, but we are getting close to the end of the year, I was expecting to see it here by now.  

Also, if anyone knows of an app that allows me to switch LTE bands on a locked, unmodded M4 Aqua running 5.0 lollipop, that would also be greatly appreciated Smiley

50 REPLIES 50

@Skywalkerblue06 wrote:
I am using lg g4 since last month and I lived in Toronto I didnt experience any Lte-A.

Hello Skywalkerblue06,

When LTE-A was first announced, it was noted that a software update would be required to take advantage of the new capabilities. It is likely that the LG G4 will require an update as well.

While that link suggests bands 4 and 17, I have noted in a previous post that it is not clear which bands/frequencies are being aggregated.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@Cawtau wrote:

...  While that link suggests bands 4 and 17, I have noted in a previous post that it is not clear which bands/frequencies are being aggregated.

Hello,

It looks like Rogers' LTE-A will be aggregating both bands 7 and 17 with band 4.

Cheers

kevinj1

Rachel - the connection to Fido LTE is very stable.  The speed is acceptable, i have seen it as high at 90 mbps down.  All I could find from qualcomm about the 615 is that it was a category 4 LTE device, meaning it was LTE-Advanced capable, but only with 20 MHZ of combined frequency in certain configurations.  I think Fido band 4 is 20 mhz, and 2600 mhz is 10mhz so that is likely why it will not leave band 4. 

@kevinj1 wrote:

Rachel - the connection to Fido LTE is very stable.  The speed is acceptable, i have seen it as high at 90 mbps down.  All I could find from qualcomm about the 615 is that it was a category 4 LTE device, meaning it was LTE-Advanced capable, but only with 20 MHZ of combined frequency in certain configurations.  I think Fido band 4 is 20 mhz, and 2600 mhz is 10mhz so that is likely why it will not leave band 4. 

Hello,

Just to clarify, a category 4 LTE device does not necessarily mean the device is LTE-A capable. The LTE categories only define maximum transmission speeds. For example, a category 4 device/network is capable of maximum download of 150 Mbits and upload of 50 Mbits. 

While a category 4 device may indeed be LTE-A capable, those capabilities are dependent on hardware. For example, the following screen capture of 412 and 415 processors is taken from the comparison of Qualcomm Snapdragon processors.

Snapdragon 400.jpg
   If you note, both integrated modems are category 4 but only the modem in the Snapdragon 412 is capable of LTE-A.

The processor in the M4 is the Snapdragon 615:

Snapdragon 615.jpg

Unfortunately, the Snapdragon 615 does not appear to be capable of LTE-A.

With regards to band selection, the phone would select the best band given the circumstances ie signal strength, channel bandwidth, etc.

Bandwidths are scalable (1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz), designed to help operators more easily migrate from narrowband technologies (e.g., GSM and CDMA2000) to LTE while also recognizing that wider bandwidth deployments of LTE would be required to achieve the target peak data rates (taken from here).

Assuming the Fido bandwidths you mentioned are correct, then the phone would connect at 2x10MHz on band 4 and 2x5MHz on band 7. I suspect under different circumstances ie poor band 4 signal strength combined with good band 7 or 17 signal strength, the phone will use another band.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Skywalkerblue06
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

it will great if fido make small update for LTE-A and VoLTE for lgg4 rogers had this for a while now for g4. 

Are you able to connect to LTE @Skywalkerblue06

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @kevinj1, depending on where you are, you'll connect to what's available in that area. Where are you located?

We continue to add 700 MHz connections across the country and started rolling out LTE-Advanced, stay tuned for more details! 

kevinj1

I am in Ottawa.

Thanks @kevinj1! How's the connection, is it stable?