cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Advanced/Carrier Aggregation

kevinj1
I'm a contributor level 1

Does Fido have carrier aggregation, and if so, in which configurations?  I have an M4 Aqua I bought from Fido, and I have never seen it on anything but AWS (1700/2100 aka Band 4).  I know it also supports LTE bands 7 (2600mhz) and also 12/17 (700mhz).  Does Fido support LTE-Advanced like it's parent company?  Also, I am in Ottawa, which on rogers coverage does not have LTE-Advanced.  Odd, since we were the launch market for Rogers LTE in 2011.  Supposedly, Rogers has aggressive LTE-Advanced rollout plans, but we are getting close to the end of the year, I was expecting to see it here by now.  

Also, if anyone knows of an app that allows me to switch LTE bands on a locked, unmodded M4 Aqua running 5.0 lollipop, that would also be greatly appreciated Smiley

50 REPLIES 50

alexhan559
I'm a participant level 2

Is there a map of the LTE+ coverage? Also, is there a date on when it will be available for London, Ont?

Not for the moment @alexhan559! Keep an eye out on Fido.ca for updates Smiley

- Nick

alexhan559

Ok, thanks for the fast reply guys Smiley

Soljah
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
It appears Fido has now activated carrier aggregation as I'm receiving LTE+ connections on my Huawei P10 Plus (128GB / 6GB International version).

So far this has been happening in Kitchener/Waterloo and the GTA.

It should be noted that I have also placed my sim card in the Google Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and Huawei Mate 9 and none of them were able to receive LTE+ connections.

kevinj1

Cawtau,  Thank you for pointing that out from qualcomm's site.  I can't believe I didn't notice that before purchasing the device ;).

Sami123

Hey! I also was wondering the same thing, and did have 2 questions.

I am thinking of getting an unlocked phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 International  Version) which is compatible with LTE bands of:

1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850)

And I wanted to ask, is this phone comatible with Fido's LTE-Advanced network (carrier aggretion) and is it VoLTE compatible? Again it is an unlocked phone.

Thanks,

Regards.

*UPDATE*

Sorry forgot to add my location, I am near Couborg, Ontario, and hour East of Toronto. The ROGERS towers near my area provide signals at a Frequency of 850Mhz and 1900Mhz.

@Sami123 wrote:

Hey! I also was wondering the same thing, and did have 2 questions.

I am thinking of getting an unlocked phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 International  Version) which is compatible with LTE bands of:

1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850)

And I wanted to ask, is this phone comatible with Fido's LTE-Advanced network (carrier aggretion) and is it VoLTE compatible? Again it is an unlocked phone.

Thanks,

Regards.

*UPDATE*

Sorry forgot to add my location, I am near Couborg, Ontario, and hour East of Toronto. The ROGERS towers near my area provide signals at a Frequency of 850Mhz and 1900Mhz.

Hello Sami123,

Welcome to the forums!

First, that phone would have all of the bands/frequencies for LTE. You can verify the compatible bands here.

With regards to carrier aggregation and voLTE, I believe @FidoMaria is looking into it for you.

With regards to your last statement, are there additional towers with different bands/frequencies in your areaÉ If those are the only bands/frequencies in the area, you are not likely to get LTE. There are no LTE bands/frequencies at those towers you listed.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Sami123

Oh I see, I checked an online database, that may be inaccurate. ertyu.org. I do get LTE there, as I have another phone that does recieve LTE. 

Cheers Smiley

@Sami123 wrote:

Oh I see, I checked an online database, that may be inaccurate. ertyu.org. I do get LTE there, as I have another phone that does recieve LTE. 

Cheers Smiley

Hello,

I tend to use that site as well. It is entirely possible that some of the tower information needs to be updated. However, does your phone actually show LTE or does it show 4G? If it's the latter, it's possible that the connection is H+ rather than LTE, which would correspond to the bands/frequencies shown in the area.

Cheers

Sami123

It shows LTE (Long term evolution or Real 4G LTE) not HSPA+ (3G/H/ Fake 4G). My area is also covered by LTE according to Fido's coverage map.

I have just bought the S6 Smiley and just wanted to know will an unlocked S6 be compatible with LTE-ADVANCED (CAT 6) and/or VoLTE (HD Voice).  Also I am out of the country at the moment and can't access Fido just yet, until I come back to Canada. @FidoMaria@Cawtau

Thanks! Smiley

Chhers

Hi there Sami123

We only offer the LTE network at the moment. Although there's no mention of LTE-A on Fido.ca today, we're still looking into it, to get more information 😃 I'd simply suggest to stay tuned here for updates. 

To obtain the VoLTE (HD Voice) service, you must have a Fido phone (no exceptions) as the service is not available to non-Fido devices. 

I hope this helped!

Just a heads up everyone, we're still waiting for official confirmation. 

Thanks for hanging in there Smiley 

Thanks for the wait everyone!

Fido does provide LTE-A in certain areas in Canada and will continue to expand its reach. LTE-A depends on the device you have, on where you’re located, the different types of spectrum and how busy the network is at that time. Depending on these factors, you may not notice a difference compared to LTE, which provides very fast data speeds, great in building signal reach (with Fido’s premium 700 MHz spectrum) and is available today on the Fido network to over 93% of Canadians! Once we completely launch LTE-A, you’ll know it on fido.ca Wink

Thanks again! 

Thumper1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Can you tell me what kind of plan I would need to see the LTE-A speeds ?

I have an iphone7 with Pulse Max Plan living in Toronto and have yet to see it. 

If I am not mistaken, your last reponse was 8 months ago with confirmation of the LTE-A launch.

Thank you 

We're still on LTE now @Thumper1, no LTE-A yet Smiley

Stay tuned on Fido.ca for any changes about that, if any!

Skywalkerblue06
I'm a contributor level 2
Hi guys, Any update Carrier Aggregation...we pay almost premium as rogers customer but fido dont have this feature yet...last update was end of December 2016...

Hey @Skywalkerblue06

Thanks for reaching out Smiley

Let me look into this for you , I'll update you once I have more info! 

@Sami123! We're looking to obtain more info on this. We'll update this thread shortly. Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@kevinj1 wrote:

Does Fido have carrier aggregation, and if so, in which configurations?  I have an M4 Aqua I bought from Fido, and I have never seen it on anything but AWS (1700/2100 aka Band 4).  I know it also supports LTE bands 7 (2600mhz) and also 12/17 (700mhz).  Does Fido support LTE-Advanced like it's parent company?  Also, I am in Ottawa, which on rogers coverage does not have LTE-Advanced.  Odd, since we were the launch market for Rogers LTE in 2011.  Supposedly, Rogers has aggressive LTE-Advanced rollout plans, but we are getting close to the end of the year, I was expecting to see it here by now.  

Hello Kevinj1,

As far as I can tell, I don't think the M4 Aqua is a LTE-A capable phone. While the Wikipedia list might not be fully complete or up-to-date, I have not been able to find any information to suggest that the M4 is capable of LTE-A.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Skywalkerblue06
I am using lg g4 since last month and I lived in Toronto I didnt experience any Lte-A.