cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 screen timeout issue

Eddie1879
I'm a participant level 3

Hi, I just got the LG G5 on Fido and I am having an issue with the screen timeout.

No matter how many minutes I set the screen timeout, it dims after about 10 seconds, then goes dark, and eventually locks. 

I currently have the screen set to stay on for 5 minutes. The screen locks 2 minutes after it shuts off. This was not a problem on my previous Android handset (ZTE Axon). 

Nonetheless the screen dims after only a few seconds. 

I can't tap the screen forever just to read the news or an email. 

Did anyone encounter this? Does anyone have a solution? 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

FidoKenny

Hey @Eddie1879

@Community: Anyone having the same issue?

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hello all,

No my LG G5 does not do that.

You can try performing a firmware update. I am running Android 7 with security update 2017-Mar-30.  From what i can remember, the firmware that came with my phone has a ton of bugs in it.  Many of the issues were addressed on the 2017-Mar-30 security update.

I just checked with mine - Mine is set to screen turns off after 30 seconds.

0 seconds - timer start, finger off screen.

1 - 24 seconds screen on. 

25 seconds - screen dims.

30 seconds - screen turns off.

Eddie1879

Hi, 

If I understood correctly, then my phone does not have the same update as yours. Under software version the date of the latest security update is March 1, 2017.

I don't know where else to check for a software update. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

Hey @Eddie1879!

Thanks for sharing Smiley

Did you get the phone in store, or through customer care?

You mentioned just getting the device, if you got it within the last 15 days and a software update or restore does not fix this, then it is possible there is a manufacturing defect.

You can pop into the same store you got it for an exchange, if we shipped it to you let us know and we can send you a PM to process an exchange!

Eddie1879

Hi, 

I got the phone after speaking with customer care. It was shipped out on November 6 and I received it on November 7. What should I do?

Thanks

Sending you a PM so we can take a look! 

See you there!

Eddie1879

Thank you for your help. 

Issue was resolved last week. It required me to factory reset the phone and readjust the screen timeout settings. Been working fine since then. 

Thanks for keeping everyone posted on what solved the issue, @Eddie1879 Smiley