cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 not connecting to data network unless I reboot

erinb90
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

My G5 is about 3 months old. Last week it installed an LG software update. Since then, whenever my signal gets weak or lost (such as in the subway or a basement), it does not reconnect back to LTE once I have a strong signal again. Sometimes I will get a phone signal but not data, other times I will not even get a phone signal at all. Once I restart the phone, everything works fine again.

Toggling mobile data on and off does not work. Turning airplane mode on and off actually makes it worse (I lose signal entirely). Wifi connection is fine. 

I have tried resetting the network settings, no change. I then did a factory reset, no change.

This happens several times a day so it is very annoying having to always reboot my phone.

Does anyone have any advice, or will I need to replace my phone under warranty? 

67 REPLIES 67

I get where you're coming from.

Since you're both experiencing this, I would suggest testing a completely different SIM card in the phones.

I'll send you a PM so we can check this out in more detail.

Thanks, @Chowhyeva.

I suggest you try your sim in a different phone to see if the issue persists. This will allow us to know if the problem is with the phone or the network. 

Keep us posted of the outcome.

Hi @sardanapal

Have you tried to do a full back-up of your phone & follow with a "Factory Reset"?

To find out how to backup your phone's data, I would invite you to check out LG's page "LG Android BackUp" here for more information there. You'll see step-by-step instructions here. 

To complete a "Factory Reset" here's how: 

1) Go to Settings

2) Click on General - Back Up & Reset

3) After, click on Factory Data Reset & Reset Phone

4) Chose "Erase Everything" if you're ready to clear all of your Data

5) Select Ok, to confirm the operation

Let me know if this helped 😃

Nngo2k
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Hi

I am also experiencing the same problem as these users

• Data randomly drops when in LTE, in urban areas like Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton
  • Done 2 factory resets and still not fixed
  • Got a new SIM from Fido still didnr fix the issue
  • Talked to a mobile repair shop and they claim I got a dud, that LG motherboard fail after a year. To repair the phone would cost me $200

Only fix I found is to use 4G only, which is not what I paid for in the 2 year contract.  

I got my phone brand new April 2017, and to buy out the contract will cost me $230.

Is there any solution that won't cost me as much and for Fido to honour my 2 year contract which is access to LTE data speed?

Hey Nngo2k

So sorry to learn you're having trouble with your phone. Have you checked with LG to see if this is an issue they are aware of?

If it is a known issue they may sometimes offer a replacement or repair option outside of the warranty. 

Keep us posted!