Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure MMS in an unlocked device

Pink2018
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi there,

I recently bought an unlocked phone and successfully registered within Fido network (I changed the simcard to nano).  The only problem I have now is I cannot send and receive MMS.  I looked up the configuration and it was all correct.  I wonder what else I could do here.  Does anybody ever have similar problem?  Can you share on how to resolve this issue? BTW, my phone is LG X Power 2, M320K series.

Thanks,

Pinkan

17 REPLIES 17

Pink2018

Hi there,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply.  So anyway, I tested the simcard with my other phone (this is a locked one from Fido).  The MMS was sent out successfully, and then back to my LG one, it was stuck and kept on spinning around until I finally deleted it.  I wonder what other setup I need for this.  I changed the network mode to GSM/WCDMA, didn't give any result at all.  

I will try to see the configuration on the other phone tonight, and compare to my LG one.  Other than that, any suggestion?  Do you think if I go to FIDO center, they can help me out?

Thanks a bunch!

Pinkan

Hey @Pink2018

Did performing a factory reset of your device help?

Let the Community know! 

Pink2018

Hi.. I haven't tried to restore it to the original version.  I'll let you know once I've done it.  Thanks all.  

Keep us posted! Smiley 

Hey @Pink2018,

Any news? Let us know, it could help others on the Community Smiley

Pink2018

Hi there... I finally wiped out the phone and set it up from scratch again. Guess what? It is still didn't work.....

Hello again,

Sorry to hear it is still not working on this phone. Have you been able to verify which bands/frequencies your phone can actually access? I recently found some other specifications which suggest that version only has one compatible '3G' band/frequency and no compatible LTE bands or frequencies (see here). It's even possible your phone's specifications do not match either site.

Are you having this issue everywhere or only at certain locations? As mentioned previously, coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies at your surrounding towers. In addition, other factors -- ie distance from towers, potential signal interference, the band or frequency to which the phone is connected, etc -- can affect data transmission, including MMS. I remember one of my previous phones also only had a single '3G' band. It worked perfectly for voice calls and SMS. However, every time I received a MMS, I had to drive across town to get a better connection before it would download. Have you considered trying to get closer to a cellular tower to see if it might help?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @Pink2018!

As the service works fine on other phones, it does seem to be a device or settings on the device issue.

Have you tried to completely restore the phone and setting it up again?

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Pink2018!

Did @Cawtau's suggestions help? 

Let us know! 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Pink2018,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, do you know the band/frequency specifications for the phone? Since it is the M320K version, it likely has different specifications than the Canadian M320G version. The only specifications I could find for the M320K are:

GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900
  WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 2100
  LTE 700, 850, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600
  TD-LTE 2300

Taken from here.

Judging by those specifications, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'.

With regards to LTE, that phone likely has one or two compatible bands/frequencies. The 700MHz may be compatible depending on the band it uses. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.  You should note that coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies on your surrounding cellular towers. Not all towers use all of the bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of your surrounding area towers here.

Are you able to send regular SMS? I understand you verified the MMS settings. Were the settings you looked up the same as the ones provide here? Have you verified that data is enabled on the phone? Data does need to be enabled to send/receive MMS.

Are you able to use other data (ie internet browsing or email) without Wifi? Since the target market for that phone version is not Canada, have you tried to enable roaming data? Some phones from abroad might think they are roaming even though they are using a local SIM.

Have you verified the SMS message centre number? It should be: 514-993-1123 (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Pink2018

Hi Cawtau,

Sorry for belated reply.  To all your questions, the answer is yes.  I can send text no problem, receive phone calls as well.  I don't have data line though, but my phone plan is text and voice only, so MMS should be included.  I had my mobile data ON anyway.  The message center number you mentioned is what I have on my phone.  

The only setting that is built-in on my phone are:

MCC 302

MNC 370

I am not sure what those 2 settings mean.  Do you think it's the frequency issue then?  All settings are correct.  Before I activated the card, I phoned Fido up, and I had all the unlocked phone config setup already, so I told him about it.  He said it was correct, and when he switched the old card SN to the new nano one, my phone was activated instantly.  Tested the sms was ok, then found out the MMS was not working.  MMS can come to my phone but I am unable to open it.  When I try to send one, it's just spinning around trying to send but won't send.

I hope this additional information would help.  

Thanks,

Pinkan

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information!

Pink2018 wrote:...

The only setting that is built-in on my phone are:

MCC 302

MNC 370

Those two settings are simply the network identifiers for Fido (mobile country code (MCC) 302: Canada; mobile network code (MNC) 370: Fido). Are those settings found in the access point name (APN) the phone is using? If it is, could you add:

to the APN? If your phone does not allow you to edit the APN, you could add another APN (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Pink2018

Hi..

All configuration has matched since i switched the simcard -- I did looked up at Fido "how to set unlocked phone" before i call Fido cqll center.  He confirmed the setting i made was correct. I guess this is why I can send and receive SMS, and make a phonce call. The only problem is the send and receive on MMS. 

Thanks,

Pinkan

Hello again,

In addition to trying to send/receive MMS with Wifi disabled, have you tried to disable LTE on the device? Since you do not have any data with your plan, connecting to the LTE network would not necessarily be beneficial. It might help sending and/or receiving MMS.

Additionally, if your phone's Network mode has a Global setting, it might help to switch it to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE. If that doesn't help, then you could try GSM/UMTS(WCDMA) only.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey Pink2018!

Are you connected to Wifi when you try to send an MMS? Also, are you able to send MMS if you put your SIM card in another phone?

Let us know!

Pink2018

Hi all,

I haven't tried to switch the simcard to the other phone.  I still have the Samsung phone from Fido (locked).  If this is to test the nano simcard, then this is it!  I will let you know how it goes. 

My phone only has these options:

GSM/WCDMA/LTE AUTO

GSM/WDCMA AUTO

WCDMA ONLY

GSM ONLY

Thanks,

Pinkan

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the Community @Pink2018! Very_Happy

Did you test out the suggestions provided by @Cawtau?

Keep us posted Smiley