cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block Fido outside Canada

cdm2
I'm a participant level 2

My phone has both a SIM and an eSIM. I use the former for Fido within Canada and want the latter for a data plan (with a VOIP service) outside Canada. How can I prevent Fido from connecting to foreign phone or data signals while in the US or Europe?

6 REPLIES 6

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @cdm2 Smiley

Does the phone have an option to disable the Fido SIM or activate airplane mode for just one SIM? That could be an option!

That said, keep in mind you won't incur roaming charges for just connecting to a foreign network. They only apply for the below usage:

- Any data usage

- Answering or making calls

- Sending text messages

Receiving texts is free Smiley

I hope that info helps, let us know if you have other questions! 

cdm2

I use a data service on my eSim and a telephone call comes in, which I think is my VOIP service and answer. Or I return an SMS. Those are what I want to prevent.

RT1225

If I understand your question well you want to make sure that there are no connections by the Fido physical SIM while you are in Europe.  I have exactly the same configuration as you on my iPhone XS.  You could just remove the SIM card before arriving in Europe and use the eSIM that is a separate data plan.  Of course you will not get any calls or texts from your Fido number.  You could use your VOIP plan to call your Fido number periodically and get any messages.  

I have a slightly different issue: I want to keep receiving Fido calls and texts on a pay per use basis while in Europe while simultaneously using the eSIM for data.  Unfortunately if I get even one call or text I will have to pay $12 for a full 24 hour service on the Fido Roam program.  I have read that you need to call Fido at 1-888-481-3436 to turn off Fido Roam.  However it seems than most of the agents at Fido know nothing about this.  Has anyone done this successfully?

Hey @RT1225!

I just wanted to start off by clarifying some things with you. 

With Fido Roam, receiving a phone call or text messages while abroad does not trigger a charge unless you answer the call or reply to the text.

Fido Roam charges are only triggered when you use your device for phone calls, text messaging or data. If you choose to let a call go to voicemail, no charge will apply.  

Opting out of Fido Roam is something that can only be completed through customer service, but, that said, I see that you've already contacted customer service about this so I will send you a PM to take a look in your account. 

Talk to you soon. 

RT1225

Thanks Amanda.  That is helpful.  So on an iPhone if you turn off data roaming you should be able to receive texts and calls to voicemail without triggering Fido Roaming charges.  You can use your eSIM with an international mobile provider for the data.  I think that is a reasonable solution.  

Thank you for keeping the Community posted. 

Did you try Nick's steps above?