Fido tethering: connected but no internet

I'm a Contributor Level 1 sdafasdfsdfas
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Fido tethering: connected but no internet

I have a data plan (10gb) and account in good standing. I had Moto X Play and tethering worked great.

I got a new phone (unlocked LG phoenix 3 2017) and now when I create hotspot, a device can connect to it but there is no internet.

I have already set up the APN (LTEmobile.apn) and data works fine on the phone. Just not the tethering.

I have looked and no posts on this forum definitively solve this issue. Please help, thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
MVP
MVP

Re: Fido tethering: connected but no internet

Hello Sdafasdfsdfas,

Welcome to the community!

Some devices seem to need to have dun in the APN type field in order to have wifi hotspot (or tethering in general) work. DUN stands for dial-up networking. While that terminology might be out-dated, some phone still need it to be specified in the APN. You might consider editing the APN to ensure that your APN type includes default,supl,mms,dun.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 14

Thank you for that tip. I added that data in to the APN, saved it and tried it. Unfortunately it did not work. I rebooted and tried again. Still does not work.

Are there any other ideas for the LG Phoenix 3 (2017 model)?

Thanks in advance for more help.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 14

Other possibly relevant info: it is an AT & T branded phone but as I mentioned, it was unlocked. Everything else about the phone works properly on Fido network (data, calling, mms txt etc).

Tether connects device, but does not give internet access to device (aka "connected but no internet") 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 14

Hey sdafasdfsdfas!

Not too sure if it would change anything, but, have you tried a factory reset of the device?

I can't say I know what might be causing this, I wasn't able to find too much about this myself, but, I am wondering if it's possible that this may be something that can be blocked by AT&T. 

@Community, Does anyone have any info/ideas?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 14

Thank you for the idea -- I am going to hold off on that route for a moment because the phone is essentially new out of the box and I have taken steps to get the phone working with data on Fido (adding APN and overriding AT&T in Android settings.db to enable tethering).

It would be great to know what solution has actually worked for this issue from Fido's point of view. Judging by the posts on this topic, it seems there are others who had the issue but it never was resolved in the threads.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 14

Hey @sdafasdfsdfas,

Which APN do you have set up on your phone, is it ltemonbile.apn? 

Can you replace it with with fido-core-appl1.apn and let us know if that changes anything in terms of tethering?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 14

Yes, I had it set as ltemobile.apn. I also tried fido-core-appl1.apn before but did not mention that in my original post. fido-core-appl1.apn did not work then ewither. I tried it again now just to be sure (and even tried it with adding in default,supl,mms,dun too) and the same issue is there "conneced, no internet"

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 14

Hey @sdafasdfsdfas

Let's check your account to see if you have any restriction that would stop you from using mobile hotspot.

I'm sending you a PM now. Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 14

Ok great - I don't think there are any restrictions on my account as I have had this account for 15+years in good standing (with data).

I have not seen the PM from you yet but I will keep checking. Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 14

After DMs with forum support staff and no further solutions on that front, they directed me to FIdo support.

Fido support (on chat) was pretty brief on the topic: "If it is not a Fido device, wqe can not provide support"

So even though this phone has no problem with tehering on other networks (tested at phone shop with other SIM cards, it is somehow not compatible with the Fido network.

To me, this is an issue with the settings on the Fido network not an issue with the phone. It is unfortunately not something Fido has plans to correct.

I am just closing the loop for any of you who have this phone and who had hopes of tethering on Fido network. It will not work, look elsewhere for a provider if you require this (basic) function.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 14

Hey @sdafasdfsdfas

Thanks for the update Smiley

I know it's not ideal but the fact is that, as much as we would like to be able to tell you otherwise, we don't have a way to guarantee that any services will work on a non-fido phone, and, that the support that we can offer non-Fido phones is limited. That said, we'd hate to lose you over this. There may still be things that we haven't tried yet. Have you given a factory reset of your device a try to see if that changes anything?

Keep us posted!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 14

I appreciate the reply, but I have already spent a lot of time on this (incl full factory reset) only to find it is Fido's network settings that are the roadblock here (since the phone's tethering works fine on other network's APNs).

Apart from Fido updating their APN to allow phones not purchased from Fido to allow tethering, it is likely I will need to end my 10+ years as a Fido customer.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 14

Thanks for replying @sdafasdfsdfas

Just to clarify, we allow tethering on non-Fido phones, but it is possible that the feature might not work on some devices.  In these cases, we'll do troubleshooting with you to try to make things work, but sometimes the service simply doesn't work with your device.  That being said, I've sent you a PM so we could take a second look at your account together.

Talk to you soon!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 14