Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

I'm a Participant Level 3 quenting96
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

Hi,

I've just got a Fido Pulse plan recently, bringing my own device, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 purchased directly from Samsung. I chose Fido mainly because of VoLTE and Wifi Calling. I installed the lastest Fido firmware on my phone to make sure there is no compatibility problem with the network. The CSC code of my phone (in the settings menu) is FMC, which is the Fido one. VoLTE and Wifi Calling options are present in the settings.

When I enable VoLTE, calls still fall back on the HSPA+ network. For the Wifi Calling, when I click the link to configure the address, I receive the verification code but it tells my phone seems incompatible and to contact the Fido support.

Fido/Rogers, this is a real shame. My phone is indistinguishable from a Fido one and is fully compatible. Well, the only difference is that you didn't get the money...

It doesn't work because you don't allow non-Fido purchased phone based on their IMEI to register on these networks, for no reason. Some people had luck and customer support were able to add their IMEI in the database to get it work, but a lot, including me, don't. I had this luck with an unlocked iPhone 6 with Rogers (after "fighting" with the customer support for over 2 weeks), but this time, it's been a while I ask them but they say they're unable to do it, that the technical support will call me back in 24h-48h but they never call back or that they're unable to join them. There is no technical problem here, it is just an anti-consumer practice.

So I post this here for everyone to see and for people who might consider to bring their device to Fido to be warned about this (even though there are a lot of other post about this), and for you to see their real face, they're just greedy. To get $50+ for a few Gb isn't enough, they want you to buy the same phone you have from them.

And maybe a representent from Fido can help me to get the technical support to contact me to fix this problem before I give up?

What you, Fido/Rogers, seem to forget, is that people who bring their own devices do not have any contract, they can leave whenever they want. And as the CRTC ban the anti-consumer practice of locking cellphones and unlocking fees, people will be able to move between carriers freely, and it will be a real mess for you.

We are a lot in that case, you're going to lose a lot of clients. And don't forget you're not only in competition with other carriers but also with all VOIP services we have now, from Whatsapp to VOIP.ms

P.S. VoLTE and Wifi calling are no more "future technologies", they are today's technologies. LTE is the main network now, almost everybody use it, and you still prevent us to call on this network. As for Wifi Calling, it is important for people who live in basement or in the country side with a poor network quality. It also relieve the towers as there will be less network trafic.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

Thanks for your feedback @quenting96 . I hear where you are coming from, a lot of our users have unlocked phones and would like to benefit from this feature and it's definitely feedback that I'll be forwarding. 

At this moment unless the device was directly purchased from Fido it's not possible to make this happen, it is however possible with iPhones as you pointed out.  I know this is not new information to you and it definitely looks like you tried to do everything on your end to make it work. 

As I said for now I'll forward your feedback and if anything changes I'll be happy to let you know!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 3 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 3

Yes....the only solution im aware is to change provider right away if you want wi-fi calling and volte....:Smiley:

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 91 of 105
Former Moderator FidoGabrielle
Former Moderator

Hello everyone!

We're still exploring our options in order to be able to offer these features on non-Fido phones in the future but we are not there yet. We will update this thread once we have any updates regarding this.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 92 of 105

this is probably the better realistic post i saw from a moderator....was about time!!!

however how much customer will you lose because of it??  just me as of today..2 lines  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 93 of 105

Hey @Zxaz!

We've replied to you on the other thread you posted on here. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 94 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 2 BrianJM
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@FidoGabrielle wrote:

Hello everyone!

We're still exploring our options in order to be able to offer these features on non-Fido phones in the future but we are not there yet. We will update this thread once we have any updates regarding this.

You have been "exploring" for a long time.  I think you are using exploring in it's "dragging our feet so that we don't have to do something we don't want to do" meaning, yes?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 95 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

i also purchased an samsung s9+ at the samsung store in edmonton ab,

1: i used an older nano sim, VoLTE did not work

2: went to Fido store (had an rookie sales lady assisted me, was told to goto samsung store it was their fault)

3: samsung store had also an rookie tech lady, i was told that it was Fido fault

4: went home, googled about the isse, and reset the setting via reset main settings CSC code to Fido (orginal setting CSC code was to international , as i used an Hong Kong sim to bootup to avoid Fido software bloatware)

5: again it did work, reset again back to international setting CSC code.

6: went back to Fido store in west edmonton mall , an Chinese salesman assisted me, he changed the sim card to 2018 version, check my apn settings.

7: all good to go, VoLTE worked, as i called my Rogers friend (he could see and hear me), WiFi calling connects to WiFi at home and public areas (better reception).

8: my suggestions is that Rogers needs to make sure that all staff (Fido/Rogers/Chatr) should be better informed .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 96 of 105

Patrickchan....i've done everything you have done went to fido...csc code to fmr...new simcard and still no go after......in my case i solved my problem when i switched my provider......didn't have to call....just changed my csc code poped my sim and right after...had everything.....et voila maybe you were lucky...but one thing for sure fido/roger block volte..and all the feature.....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 97 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 2 BrianJM
I'm a Contributor Level 2

So this whole "CSC code" business seems to be specific to Samsung.

So what about non-Samsung users and whether they are getting wifi-calling and/or volte?

What does dialing *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and then clicking Phone information show you about volte and wifi calling?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 98 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

this is weird as in canada we need more carriers from international areas. that can handle different mobile phone  companies and not "block" non retail units. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 99 of 105
I'm a Participant Level 1 tundrasnow
I'm a Participant Level 1

I would like to be able to use Wi-Fi Calling on my unlocked LG phone. I live in a rural area and there is no cell phone service where I live! Fido, please allow Wi-Fi Calling on unlocked phones. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 100 of 105

you are the consumer..you paid a monthly plan you want wi-fi calling on your phone that i suppose is supported from fido/rogers?

you risk to "beg" for a longg time.....lolll    personally im done with the "beg" thing....i rather made the "change" thing...and have everything i want...we are consumer dont forget..

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 101 of 105
I'm a Participant Level 1 divdave

Any updates? Any other way to enable features? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 102 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

my s9+ was purchased in samsung store in canada, 1st boot with hong kong sim so csc was up global,

to get mine working, i got new sim, apn settings reset to fido, all good.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 103 of 105
I'm a Participant Level 2 modelcitizen
I'm a Participant Level 2

What a shame. I just found this post that has existed for more than a year ago. And Fido/Rogers still not changing what they are doing here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 104 of 105
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 Membacher

Still they haven't changed since 2017 August.  They obviously could change this.  My phone works with it when I roam to the States but not on my home network.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 105 of 105