Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling LTE on Android & network problems

jaywonnng
I'm a participant level 1

Hello all,

I am writing simply because I am quite frustrated about the mixed answers I am getting from Fido reps, hopefully by making this issue public I can get some real respones and answers.

So my issue is I had an iPhone 5 with the nano sim from fido - getting LTE everywhere I go. I switched back to android (Sony Xperia Z C6603 (http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-5204.php)and yes LTE is enabled on this phone I have tried with a friends sim and shows LTE she is also on Fido.

Here are my issues, when I purchased the new LTE micro sim and I asked why I was not getting LTE on the phone he said I had to call into the Customer support and they had to a "Network switch reset" or whatever that means. So I believed him I called into Fido and first they told me because this is a non supported Fido phone it will not work on their LTE network. Being the non believer I took my friends sim and tested on my phone and compared APN settings everything matched (except APN type - not sure what this should be, I had "*" she had "internet+mms") and suprisingly enough LTE appeared on my phone. So I called back to customer support and told them the case and they went ahead and did a network reset on my sim card, they asked me to reboot my phone and surely enough when I rebooted I saw the LTE icon it was good for about half a day and reverted back to 3g/H+.

So after some digging I was able to put the phone in testing mode and set it to just LTE only surely enough - no service from fido, I can see the Fido LTE network when I do a network search but when I try to connect to it it gives me the unable to register check sim or network. Phone works great on WCDMA only or LTE/WCDMA only but never gets LTE connection

And now even more issues occure when I keep my phone on LTE(preferred)/WCDMA/GSM network mode the signal will keep dropping. Goes from H+ to 3g to no network and loops. When I disable mobile Data or when I keep it WCDMA only network never drops.

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Amanda1
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

I just came across this post and would like to provide some information in case anyone else has a similar inquiry about using this device on the Fido network. Smiley

In order to access Fido's LTE network when using an unlocked phone, the device must be compatible with one or more of the following:

• 700 MHz on Band 17;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

I have taken a look at the specifications for this particular model and it does state that the device is compatible with the 2600 MHz frequency on Band 7. This means that the device is able to access Fido's LTE network, however, since the device is only able to access one of the frequencies that Fido uses for LTE, the availability of the LTE connection will be dependent on your location and the LTE band offered in that location. 

Hope this helps!

Hello,

Just to add to Amanda's post above, that phone also only has one compatible frequency for '3G' (850MHz) so coverage might also be limited in that regard depending on where you are.

Cheers

Problems
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2
Anyone got Sony Xperia Z working with LTE/3G? I've tries using the APN settings described on Fido website, but it dosent work 😕 Also tried a network reset from fido, but
Still not working. Same symptoms as described above, works for a few minutes with H+, then disconnects again.

ChetS

I recently got the same phone, Sony Xperia Z C6603. I had problems with the phone not connecting on LTE even after updating SIM and re-entering APN. 

I called Fido and described the problem, and after running through a few checks, I asked about the "Network reset". I got the fast LTE. Smiley (Located in Burnaby, BC and Vancouver, BC) 

This was just this morning so I'm not sure if the connection problems will return over time. I was told that non-fido devices may have some problems connecting even within the coverage area.