cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay on ringing

Steve81
I'm a contributor level 1

I have a LG G6 phone and when i place a call it takes 10-12 seconds to ring out. When someone calls me it does the same to them just a dead line then starts ringing. Half the time it will then ring my phone and the other half it goes straight to voicemail. I have spoken to tech support 3 times and each time they say that they have to escalate it and then i dont get a call back. The strange thing is that it seems to only happen with one tower that i am connected to at work. When i leave work and connect to a different tower it works fine.
Anyone have any suggestions? I have searched other people having this problem and dont see anything on this subject.

14 REPLIES 14

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Steve81!

I'm so sorry to read that you didn't get a call back from our technical support team!

Let us know if Cawtau's suggestions helped you.

If not, we can send you a PM and look into this with you!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Steve81,

Welcome to the community!

Since it's only happening at that one location, is it possible the signal reaching your phone is reduced at that location? Does it happen both indoors and outdoors at that location? What is the signal strength your phone is receiving at that location? It might be more useful to determine in decibiles rather than how many bars bars (see here and here).

Is your phone capable of voLTE? Depending on the band/frequency to which your phone connects to at that location, with the exception of band 12, the LTE bands/frequencies tend not to travel as far nor penetrate as well as the lower frequencies of '3G' (see graphic here). You might consider disabling LTE at that location to see if it improves your situation.

Alternatively, if your phone isn't capable of voLTE, it will have to switch networks to make and receive calls. Phones will generally standby with the best data connection available. Usually, that means connecting to the LTE network. When the phone makes or receives a call, it will switch to the 2G or '3G' networks. If your phone is on the edge of coverage with band 12 (700MHz) at that location, it might take some additional time for your phone to switch to band 5 (850MHz) on the 2G or '3G' networks because of the relatively weaker signal.

There are many factors which can influence cellular signal including your location relative to the cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

Is your phone capable of Wifi-calling? If it is, and you have Wifi at work, it might provide a solution for your situation. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Steve81

Signal strength is good. I have 95 db for signal strength. I tried turning the volte off but it did not correct the issue. I took a look at the tower map and there is a bell tower on site here at work. I figure i am connecting to that tower. 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. To which network is your phone connected when you have the 95 dBm? I understand you turned off voLTE, however, had you also disabled access to the LTE network? That is, setting your phone's network to 2G and '3G' only.

@Steve81 wrote:...I took a look at the tower map and there is a bell tower on site here at work. I figure i am connecting to that tower. 

Does your phone show Fido-EXT and/or your phone show it's roaming? Connecting to the Bell tower would be considered extended coverage. If your phone doesn't show it's roaming or connected to Fido-EXT, then you're connected to the Fido/Rogers towers. You might consider trying to manually connect to the Bell tower (Fido-EXT) to see if that helps your situation. However, you might not be able to connect to that cellular tower if your phone receives signal from a Fido/Rogers tower. If you are able to connect to the Bell tower as Fido-EXT and it improves your situation, you should note that use on extended coverage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of your usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks or else the service might get blocked.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Steve81

My phone does not say that i am on extended coverage but when i go in my network settings it says bell is the network i am on. Then when i leave my work location the phone switches from bell to the fido network it then rings instantly. 

Steve81

I found this posted in this forum and it seems to be my exact problem as well. I do not see what the solution was. Is there anyway for the fido people to find out what the solution was that fixed there issue?

Here is the post location

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/Post-Dial-Delay-amp-Incoming-Call-Delay/td-p/39101

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Steve81, thanks for the update! It does seem like you're on extended coverage since it connects to Bell while you are at work. 

Can you check if your work location is within Fido coverage?

If so, can you turn off automatic carrier selection and select Fido? This will force it to connect to the Fido network even when you're at work.

Try that and keep us posted on what happens. If the delay is not there when on the Fido network we'll know that it's related to extended coverage. 

Steve81

Thank you for the suggestion. I am back at work on friday and i will try that and i will give an update on the outcome. 

Steve81

I tried to connect directly to fidos network but my phone does not see any fido networks even though i am in the fido coverage map. I see bell and fido-ext. When i connect to fido-ext it says " unable to register on network" (i have 4 bars at this point). When i select automatically select network it connects me straight to the bell network. 

Hello again,

@Steve81 wrote:...my phone does not see any fido networks even though i am in the fido coverage map... 

Those coverage maps are only approximated estimates of coverage. Extended coverage just means that you're connecting to a Canadian roaming partner's network when your phone or device is outside of Fido/Rogers coverage (ie unable to receive Fido/Rogers signal). There are many factors which can affect signal reception. While there are designated areas of extended coverage on those maps (areas with no Fido/Rogers cellular towers), there may also be pockets of extended coverage (areas with Fido/Rogers cellular towers but not able to receive those signals). For example, there's an area along the main street in Port Elgin whereby on one side of the street I would be connected to Fido whereas on the other side of the street connected to extended coverage. It's labelled as Fido coverage on the map, but that side of the street is just outside my phone's ability to receive Fido/Rogers signal.

If your phone is connected to Bell, that's connecting to extended coverage. The relabelling of the other providers' cellular towers to Fido-EXT is only a relatively recent occurrence. That said, have you indicated the location of that cellular tower to Fido? It's possible they have yet to rename that cellular tower. The other Fido-EXT you note is just a different provider's cellular tower. It's possible you're not able to access that network if you're able to connect to the Bell tower.

I understand you verified that extended coverage is available to you. Are you able to use your other services without issue at work? Are you able to test your SIM in a different phone to see if that makes a difference? Are there any others at your place of work with Fido who have the same issue?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Steve81

Ok so i am on extended services then so could there be an issue with my extended services connection? (Not sure if this happens eveytime i connect to Bell towers or just this tower) I did speak with fido and they said they reset the tower to see if that was the issue but it did not help. All services work the only issue is the delay in ringing and half the time it goes straight to voicemail when people call me. 

I tried a different SIM card and no difference. 

Nobody that i have spoke to with fido here has the same issue as me. But there is 3000 people that work here so i cant say nobody has that issue. 

Hello again,

You noted your phone is a LG G6. Is it the Canadian version of that phone? If it isn't, have you verified it has all of the compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify those bands/frequencies here. I believe Bell uses the same bands/frequencies.

In addition, when you checked the cellular towers around your place of work, did you notice which frequencies are being used at that particular location? Not all the bands/frequencies are used at every cellular tower.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @Steve81,

It could be that your phone is on the Fido extended network at your work, I know if you use more than 50% of your monthly usage for 3 months on the extended work you will get blocked. 

I wonder if this is what's happening to you.

Steve81

i dont think it is because of that because when i spoke to fido on the phone they verified that extended service was connected. Also i am connecting to bells network just not through the fido extended network by the looks of it. Not sure how i am connecting directly to bells network since i thought i would have to go through fidos extended network since i am not a bell customer