Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO YOU NEED A DATA PLAN TO SEND MMS

al060487
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello,

I read the posts as to MMS and I am confused. Do you need a DATA plan to use MMS?

Here is my experience.

I have used a Motorola G8 Play whch I bought from Amazon. It was the international version (South America).

I was able to send and receive MMS on FIDO eventhough I only have a BASIC TALK AND TEXT plan.

I returned the phone because of warranty concerns being  its an international phone.

I opted for another phne from UMIDIGI. Here I had problems sending  and receiving MMS on FIDO.

Umidigi is on the case. They are providing customer service. Thats a good thing.

Hopefully they will come up with solution as to MMS on their phones for FIDO.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Al060487,

While sending/receiving MMS does indeed use data and requires data to be enabled, you do not need a data plan to send/receive MMS. That can be evidenced by:

@al060487 wrote:...I have used a Motorola G8 Play whch I bought from Amazon. It was the international version (South America).

I was able to send and receive MMS on FIDO eventhough I only have a BASIC TALK AND TEXT plan...

Since you were able to send/receive MMS using a plan without data with a different phone, that would suggest the issue is with the UMIDIGI device and/or its settings. As mentioned in your other thread, the available APNs do not appear to be correct. One APN, possibly with the correct settings (Fido MMS2) doesn't appear to be selectable.

Glad to hear that UMIDIGI is willing to help. You can inform them that the correct APNs should be:

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn
  • MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
  • MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
  • MMS Port: 80
  • Leave these fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password and Server.

or for LTE:

• APN: LTEMOBILE.APN
  • MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
  • MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
  • MMS Port: 80
  • Leave these fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password and Server.

~taken from here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

al060487

THanks I've forwarded this info to UMIDIGI.