cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make or receive calls on Huawei honor

Aadarsh_Jose
I'm a participant level 2

I took a new Fido connection two week ago and I cannot make or receive calls on my phone (Huawei honor). I am able to use internet and sms. 

I have tried restarting my phone, resetting network and uninstalling Google. Nothing works. I am expecting few important calls this week and also I am paying monthly fees even though I cannot use the fido services.

Please provide a solution.

@FidoClaudia @FidoValerie@FidoAnthony

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Aadarsh_Jose,

Welcome to the community!

What model and version of the Huawei Honor do you have? Have you verified that it has compatible bands/frequencies for the networks? You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. You should note that Rogers is in the process of decommissioning the 2G network (see here). While there have been some delays to that timeline, I would expect the full GSM sunset to occur in the near future. Unfortunately, many model versions of the Huawei Honor do not have compatible '3G' bands/frequencies (see here, here, here, and here, etc). I understand your device might have some bands/frequencies sufficient for data (possibly LTE bands). However, since your device was not purchased from Fido, it's unlikely supported for voice-over-LTE (voLTE). If that's the case, it would need to fall-back to the '3G' networks for calls.

Alternatively, have you verified your phone is using the proper APN settings? You can verify those settings here. While those settings wouldn't usually affect calls, you might consider it's using the correct settings.

In addition, are you unable to make/receive calls everywhere? It's possible your phone isn't able to adequately receive '3G' signal at your location.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Aadarsh_Jose

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My current phone is honor 9n. I am able to use LTE internet and the signal is strong. But I am not able to make/receive calls anywhere. I think my phone support one of the bands. 

Is purchasing a new phone, the only solution? Since I am not able to use Fido sevices even though I am getting charged a monthly bill would I get any discount or offers?

@Cawtau @FidoValerie @FidoAnthony 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. From the specifications I have found for that particular phone, it does not appear to have any compatible '3G' bands/frequencies used in North America (see here and here). I understand that your phone has been able to connect to the LTE network, however as mentioned previously, your device would likely need to fall-back to the '3G' network for calls. In order to make and receive calls, you would need to get a different device with additional compatible bands/frequencies.

It is unfortunate that your current phone is unable to make or receive calls. However, you should note that you are charged for the services whether you are able to use them or not. There would not be any discounts for your services because your phone is not fully compatible. That said, Fido at one point had some data-only (Data & Text) plans on offer. If those plans are still available, you might consider switching to one of those plans. Though, you wouldn't be able to receive those calls you are expecting.

If you would like to inquire whether the Data & Text plans are still available, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers