Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisting Iphone?

stuf
I'm a participant level 2

Hello! 

My iPhone was stolen a few months ago, and since then I have been going in circles trying to get the IMEI blacklisted. I have the original receipt, original box, IMEI number & Serial number. I contacted Fido through Live Chat and they refused to put the phone on blacklist since it was not bought from them and directly from Apple. 

Fido can blacklist the iPhone for sure, since they blacklist the phones bought from them. 

I have been paying for my stolen phone services even though I can not access it for obvious reasons.

I have marked it as lost/stolen in my Fido Account (however, all that does is to not allow to and from calls to the phone). Find My iPhone was not turned on so I can not track or erase data from it. 

I think maybe Fido is hesitating because they think I that I could have sold this phone instead of it getting stolen, to solve this I can supply the following documents: 

1. Ottawa Police Report for Stolen Phone with my phone's serial number; 

2. Affidavit attested from Lawyer/Notary attesting that I did not sell this phone and it was indeed stolen; 

3.Original Box & Original Hard Copy & Soft Copy receipt sent to my registered Apple ID. 

Do you think escalating this issue and talking to the higher management will solve my issue?

Thanks for your response and attention to this matter. 

4 REPLIES 4

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @stuf

Adding the lost/stolen restrictions on your line will only restrict access to your usage as you've mentioned. Your monthly plan and ongoing 2 year term (if applicable) will remain unchanged. Have you since started using a new device to continue taking advantage of your services?

In terms of adding your device's IMEI to a blacklist, we can do so if said IMEI is in our database.There might be a slight confusion, since your device is a non-Fido device bought directly from Apple. That said, we'd be happy to take a closer look at this together.

You can reach out to us at these channels for assistance, though we'll be sending you a PM to follow up on your request.

stuf

Thanks for you reply. I don't have any 2 year plan with Fido, I am a monthly post-paid customer and have been paying every month since May even though my services are suspended. 

Since the IMEI is not in the FIDO database (this is what I have been told every time I contacted Live Support Chat), will FIDO be able to blacklist it? 

I am willing to provide everything that is needed as mentioned in my original post. I have my IMEI, the original box on which the IMEI is mentioned and the original receipt and I am even willing to furnish a notary/lawyer attested affidavit saying I did not sell it, plus I even have Ottawa Police accepted report. 

Hello Stuf,

Welcome to the community and Happy New Year!

I'm sorry to hear your phone was stolen. I think there might be some confusion as to IMEIs in the Fido database. It is true that Fido keeps a database of the IMEIs for the devices they sell. However, once a device connects to the network with a Fido SIM, the IMEI of that device is linked to the account associated with that SIM. The IMEIs of non-Fido devices are not in their inventory database, but rather in the customers' accounts.

Fido is able to blacklist both Fido and non-Fido phones provided they have been used with a Fido SIM (see here). However, there is a time-limit -- they are unable to blacklist a device after 60 days. Since you noted that your phone was stolen a couple of months ago, that could be the reason why they are unable to blacklist that device. Has it been greater than 60 days since the phone was used on your account?

You might consider contacting customer service so they can access your account to determine when that device was last used on your account. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they have verified some information, they can also access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

stuf

Hello Everyone!  

My phone was finally blacklisted by FIDO after going in circles for more than half a year. And also,there is no such thing as 60 days. My phone was blacklisted after 8 months of being stolen, but I had been paying the bill from the day it was stolen until it was blacklisted. May be the 60 day time period starts after you have disconnected your services with FIdo. 

Anyway, whatever it is, my phone was finally blacklisted. Thanks everyone for all your help and have a great day!.