cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back ordered phones not indicated on website

Igads
I'm a participant level 2

It is very disappointing that after being a Fido customer since the start of Fido 25 years ago, the service level received is so poor and there is no compensation or just acknowledgement for loyalty.

I ordered an upgrade phone on Dec 10th. No word that it was on backorder. After contacting customer service through chat I was told that I would get an email with shipping confirmation. I contacted customer service again and this time I was told it was on backorder with no specifics. I got an email that it might take 4 weeks. I phoned today which isn't easy to do since you can't find a phone number on the website. The csr gave me a number via the chat. I called and was told that some phones are on backorder and that I can cancel the order.  I did cancel and was told that if the csr placed a new order for me, I would be charged $50. To get it reversed I would need to call back after I got my bill and let them know about what had happened. I said I don't have time to sit on the phone time and time again. I placed a new order for a different phone on the website. It's on backorder too, the csr was kind enough to say. He suggested I go to a local store and get the phone that way. I called around. No one has this or the previous phone. Samsung 20 and 21. One store employee told me that there were lots available before Black Friday. They sold out and have not been replaced.  No word on when they should expect more. Not sure why phones that are not available are being advertised on the website. Why is there nothing on the website about the shortage situation.   Now I'm not sure what to do. Wait?  Cancel?  I've seriously considered cancelling everything on Fido.  We are paying for data we don't use because of COVID. I just paid off a broken phone to replace it with a phone that may not arrive until February. Who knows. 

17 REPLIES 17

katharenillo
I'm a participant level 1

I'm pretty disappointed with Fido's customer support. My order has been on. Back order with no updates for 3 weeks now. None on the website said anything about it being low on supply or being on back order. I needed the phone a week ago, I still do now. But the extra money I'm paying for my BYOD's updgraded plan (with the new plan but with my current unreliable phone) and the extra charge when I put my order in was not what I signed up for. Customer chat support doesn't even get me a live person to talk to when I tried multiple times.

I'm close to cancelling everything and going with something else.

Not satisfied/happy customer.

Hello @katharenillo,

Welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting on your device. It's possible there is a delay between when our warehouse and when our website is updated. We wouldn't want to see you go for this. 

You're welcome to reach out using the methods shown here if you need help with your account. 

ValLanglois

I've had the exact same problem happening to me TWICE for my last phone upgrade and it's happening to me again with the s21 this time around. Worst is that after calling to make sure the phone is IN STOCK I've been told in no uncertain terms that it was when it's obviously not. No one at Fido customer service seems to care (or be able to?) look for the information. They only tell you that it's available for purchase therefore it's in stock which is obviously false.

Worst is that Fido simply doesnt care that this system doesn't work well. I've tried to file a complain for this system and have been told by their employee that "there is no problem with the system". 

Extremely disappointing.

Hey @ValLanglois

Our agents are able to see the availability of phones in real-time. That said, for popular devices there could be extra delays in having your order ready, but we can assure you that we'll do our best to fulfill it as quickly as possible.

You can also visit our website to confirm which phones are available and currently in stock. However, please note that our warehouse inventory and stores inventory are not the same. 

One of your alternatives would be to purchase the phone directly in store if you find one that has your model available. To do so, you'll need to cancel your pending order so you can complete the purchase in store. 

It's also good to know that your order will guarantee the phone's price at the time of purchase and your priority in line, which will no longer be the case if you cancel that order.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to reach out to us on these channels so we can go over your options Smiley

ValLanglois

To show you how full of bs your company is : over a month later and I STILL have no news on the new device. The best I got is empty apologies with no answers for any solutions to fix anything. I've been told to cancel my order and ask for another device but when I said that I don't want to be put on another waiting list on a backordered device, I have been told that there is no way to garantee availability of ANY device anytime by a supervisor on the phone. I have been offered NO VIABLE SOLUTION to this problem whatsoever. This is ridiculous coming from a TECH company to not be able to have real time inventory in 2022.  To the credit of that particular supervisor, at least that was the first time anyone from has been honest with me ever.

This company has strait up THE worst customer support and service I've ever seen anywhere, period. You lost a good client for good and because I'm petty I'll make sure to tarnish your reputation anytime I can. 

Mishal88

how long did it took ?

Hey @ValLanglois,

That's not what we want to hear. We can definitely take another look at your account. 

To get started, you can reach out to us on these channels and we'll take it from there! :grinning_face:

Yuri4

Hey there, I've been afido customer since 1997.  I do agree with what you say about loyalty rewards or lack of.   You figure that after decades of paying and being loyal customer you would be grandfathered in to some kind of OG club.  However, not even close.  More like new customers get most of the rewards.  Perhaps we have been fools for sticking around instead of shopping around.   Not sure about you, but I may be considering to explore greener pastures elsewhere.  If they don't care about our loyalty then forget those up in the Fido tower.  

Hey there @Yuri4. Devices remain available online unless they are no longer available meaning discontinued. If it's just a question of restocking, they remain available online. 

For what concerns rewards, I can assure you we appreciate your loyalty very much. We always have new loyalty plans that come up for our exiting customers only. Keep an eye out for your special offers on your account online. 

Yuri4

Hey Fido, question about pre-owned phones on Fido.ca.   When ordering form website are you not guranteed that product?  If product is on back order should that not be reflected on the website. Why have the product as an option if it's not available?    Thanks

Cass23

Literally what I'm dealing with right now!!! I ordered the new iPhone 14 pro but it's on back order and no ETA... 🙄 I've been with this company for 5 years, you think they'd disclose this kind of information on their websites... especially to customers who have been loyal!!! Ugh! Getting ready to change providers! 

BobC83
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Contrary to Cawtau's assertions, provincial consumer protection laws often define an "unfair practice" as selling inventory that they don't have or have any reasonable prospect of having. If Fido cannot give you a timeline for when you should expect your phone - especially if you've paid for it - I'd review the consumer protection laws for your province and contacting whatever provincial ministry enforces those laws for guidance.

Hello,

@BobC83 wrote:

.... "unfair practice" as selling inventory that they don't have or have any reasonable prospect of having....

It would be unfair practice if they had no possibility of getting those devices. However, the issue was reduced supply due to the problems at the factory. They do have a reasonable prospect of getting those devices since manufacturing has resumed and shipments have recommenced.

Cheers

Hello Cass23,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the eager anticipation of a new device. Unfortunately, I don't know if Fido will be able to provide any estimate of when those devices might be available. It was a widepsread issue due to reduced supply chain capacity at the source. Perhaps you might have heard of the strict Covid-19 restrictions at Apple's main manufacturing factory (see here). While there have been reports that shipments have normalised, other sources suggest there still might be a significant wait (see here).

Unfortunately, those issues are beyond a mobile provider's control, even for their loyal customers. While there may be some of those devices available in Canada, I would think the other retailers and providers would need to fulfil their back-orders before being able to provide the device as a new purchase.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Igads

Happy to say that the phone arrived. Not for Christmas but yesterday before the New Year.  I would still suggest that information about how long something will take to arrive be posted on the website or sent to the customer after the order is placed to allow them to choose something else if the phone is back ordered. It should not be up to the customer to chase this information down via chats and phone calls. Setting up a backorder notification and resolution process should be possible and would probably save money in the long run, reducing customer service interactions. 

Happy New Year @Igads , your suggestions on providing back order information are good ideas and hopefully can be implemented in the near future. I know the Fido moderators read the posts and will see this one. Glad to hear you received your device,  cheers 

FidoPhilippe

Hey @Igads! Philippe here. Merry Christmas. Smiley

Thanks for your many years of loyalty and your feedback! However, I'm sad to read that the phones you ordered were unavailable due to being on backorder and I do sincerely apologise for that.

If you would like to discuss your options, we'll be happy to. To get started, simply reach out to us using these methods and we'll take it from there Smiley