As of yesterday, no longer connecting to 4G and today I realized I can't send text messages

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

As of yesterday, no longer connecting to 4G and today I realized I can't send text messages

So I have a Samsung galaxy S7 and I can't connect to 4G anymore and I can't send any texts. I have been getting reminders continuously to update to Android 7.0 but I am already on 7.0, not sure if this is related. I am currently connecting to HSDPA and UMTS only. Fido agents attempted to reset the network on my device multiple times with no success. I have an official Fido software build installed. Not sure what to do at this point.

***Edited to add labels***

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 25
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Re: As of yesterday, no longer connecting to 4G and today I realized I can't send text messages

Hello Zskaik,

Welcome to the community!

Did you purchase your phone from Fido? I understand your device already has Android 7.0, however, have you verified whether there are any updates? That is, which version of firmware is your device running? There are a number of different Fido firmwares for Android 7. As far as I can tell, the most recent firmware is G930W8VLU2BQH1 (see here). Most of the differences seem to be security patches, but there may also be a newer firmware addressing your issues.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 25
Highlighted

Re: As of yesterday, no longer connecting to 4G and today I realized I can't send text messages

As of yesterday I also can't connect to 4G/LTE.  All I get is 3G/HSPA. I got the texts from them warning people to upgrade to version 7 because of a compability issue with calling 911 and that we would be capped at 3G if we didn't.

I have a Samsung S7 which I upgraded to Android 7 manually (the latest Fido firmware on sammobile) because I had rooted it while on Marshmellow and lost OTA updates.

I just finished a chat session with Fido Support and was told that because they didn't push out the update, their system still thinks I'm on a lower Android version and that's why I'm not getting 4G.

The rep told me I have to put it back to the version I was at before I rooted and do the OTA updates in order to get 4G back.  Unfortunately having tripped knox I'm not sure that's possible.

I asked what is happening to people using their own unlocked devices which don't receive updates from Fido but never got a response.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 25
Highlighted

ubereverything, thanks for sharing this. I also just yesterday actually installed the latest released which I believe is from August 8, 2017 and got the software update from http://updato.com/ instead of sammobile.

I also belive my KNOX is tripped unforunately, and thus I can only install updates manually through Odin.

Based on what you said the rep told you regarding their system not recognizing you have 7.0 since you had installed the update yourself, It seems that if we cannot get OTA updates after reverting back to 6.0( since our KNOX is tripped)  then we're essentially screwed and have to get a new device which is pretty frustrating. 

Anyway please do let me know if you get an answer to this.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 25
Highlighted

I have G930W8VLU2BQH1.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 25
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @zskaik!

Have you tried to restore your phone to the factory settings to see if that helped?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 25
Highlighted

Yes I did a factory reset and still not getting 4G!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 25
Highlighted

Hey @zskaik

Can you let us know what comes up when you try a manual network search on your phone? 

You should be able to do this by selecting the following: 

>Mobile networks
>Network operators
>Search Network

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 25
Highlighted

Sure, so I did as you said and this is what I see: 

Fido

Fido-EXT

Fido-EXT

Videotron

Videotron

Freedom

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 25
Highlighted

Just to be clear, I have no issues connecting to Fido, I have issues connecting to 4G only.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 25