cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overcharged for an iPhone

edpezzi
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I received a call from fido offering a good condition for a Iphone XS as a fido customer. I would pay  CAD$28,00 during 24 months for it, fair enough as it wa august 2020, and a new Iphone was on the corner. I asked to the person who called me that I was new in the country and I wouldn't buy if this offer was tied to stay with my plan, as we were, and are, living in the middle of a pandemic. He said, that NO, I could leave any time paying the remaining payments.

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, I needed return back to my country, I would like to pay what is missing, but I felt as a fool while receiving my last bill of CAD$1.200,00 due to the phone I bought. It is outrandeous, a new phone cost around CAD$900,00, I tried to talk with Fido custumer service, but with no results... I asked them to recover the records to listen what they sold to me, but no one tried to help me... any suggestion who to reach out?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Edpezzi,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you misunderstood details of the Payment program. Since Fido switched from their subsidised plans to the new financed Payment program, plan costs and phone costs are now separated. So no, you are not tied to stay with your cellular plan, though you would have to pay the remaining balance of your phone if you leave early.

In addition, it sounds like the offer you received might have been $28 after bill credit. It's a common misconception that the monthly cost of those phones are reduced. However, that is technically not the case. The device cost as offered was calcuated after bill credit. The monthly cost of the phone remains the same but customers are getting a credit on their bill to offset the cost of the phone. Unfortunately, if you ended the contract before the two year term concludes, you no longer receive the credit offsetting the cost of the device. The remaining balance would be calculated without the inclusion of those credits. That could be the reason your final bill is higher than expected.

If you would like to further discuss the matter, You would need to contact customer service. I understand you might be outside the Country currently. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers