cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrectly told I'm over my data limit and fido can do nothing

edhazer
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Fido has been a disaster for me this month.

On June 3 I upgraded to a pulse plan with 2GB of data from my old plan with 500MB of data.
Three days ago I got a weird text message saying that data had been disabled on my phone because I exceeded $50 of usage. But this was absolutely impossible. I had probably used less than 620MB. So I hadn't even reached my limit for the 2GB plan and if the old plan was still in effect it would only be a $10 surcharge not $50.

However when I logged onto my online account or when I called fido to ask about this noone was able to pull up my usage data and could not explain why I had received the warning. They just blamed the system. This continued for the last 3 days when I called once a day and each time was told that the agent was unable to access my data in the Fido system. The last agent told me I would absolutely have to wait another 3 days for my monthly period to reset. 6 days without data and an inappropriate $50 charge that nobody could explain to me? That is not the way a professional telephone company operates.
Has anyone else experienced mysteriously "going over their data limit" when they almost certainly did not?  My data has been locked out for 4 days now!

9 REPLIES 9

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Guys!

I saw this thread and I just thought I would provide some clarification about what happens when you change your plan mid-cycle.

In all cases, the monthly fees for both your old and new plan will be prorated on your next bill.

If you are changing from a Pulse plan to another Pulse plan, over the whole cycle you’ll get:

- The larger of the 2 plans’ data amount
- Unlimited local minutes
- Prorated messaging amounts for each plan
- Prorated long distance amounts for each plan

If you’re changing to and from any other type of plan, all your usage amounts will be prorated.

After you make the change, you will no longer receive data usage notifications for the remainder of your current bill cycle, and, if you’ve already purchased a Data Top-Up during your current cycle, the cost and the amount of data purchased will added to your new plan for the remainder of your cycle.

Hope this helps!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@edhazer Whenever you do a plan change within your billing cycle you can not see your data usage until your cycle resets.

What could have happened here is when you change your plan to the 2GB a month you are not actually going to get the full 2GB until your cycle resets what you will get is a prorated amount meaning June has 30 days so 2GB will be divided by 30 which is roughly 68.26MB per day so if you did your plan change with lets say 7 days until your cycle resets that means you only have 478.03MB (68.26 X 7) of that 2GB to use.

Also with the new plans its $5 for every 250mb of data you go over your limit. Hopefully when your bill gets printed you will see what happened.

Also what phone do you use? I know alot of people with iPhone have problems with it using up too much data.

Hi @edhazer & welcome to the Community!

In the past, when changing a plan mid-cycle, both the amount of data you had in the previous plan as well as in the new plan were prorated as @KAPABLE-K mentioned. This has however changed, and you would have had access to the full 500 MB when you had your old plan and the full 2 GB with the new plan.

This could indeed be due to a system error, or either the 500 MB or 2 GB were exceeded and amounted to an overage rate of $50. We'll only know by checking your account. That said, I'll send you a PM.

Talk to you soon. Wink

@FidoMaria When did that change happened and does the same applies to minutes also?

@KAPABLE-K The change happened at the beginning of February.  The monthly charges are still prorated, but you'll get a full month's worth of usage when changing a plan mid-cycle.

Same goes for minutes also?

@KAPABLE-K that's right! Smiley

Then Fido definetly have issues with the system because last month I got 150 international minutes added to my line mid cycle then when I was approaching 50min I got a text saying I have 10min left.

So I called and was told basically its because its prorated. 

@KAPABLE-K Proration is still applicable to add-ons.