cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to block long distance calling worldwide (including USA)? Thanks

JimmyVancouver
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,   Is there is a way where long distance calling can be blocked from Fido to US?   thanks

5 REPLIES 5

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @JimmyVancouver,

Welcome to the community!

It's possible to add a restriction on the line that would block wireless services and Wi-Fi calls to International numbers but not to US and Caribbean numbers that have 1 as the country code.

If you still would like to place the restriction for international calls you will need to contact customer service to have it done.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello JimmyVancouver,

Welcome to the community!

It's possible for Fido to place restrictions on International calling. However, it isn't possible to restrict long-distance calls to other phone numbers using the North American Numbering Plan (see here and here). That would limitation would extend to calls within the US.

If you would like to place the International call restrictions on your line, you will need to contact customer service so they can access your account. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they have verified some information, they can also access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

JimmyVancouver

Ha ha ha.....  Just wonder why people still using same "Dialing code 1" as a excuse.  All calls routing are using software (computer software) to control. 

There is no reason why the software cannot include this logic: "If dialing code is "1" and area-code are belongs to US area-code", then block it". 

But, on the other hand, there are logic to handle the billing: If you call dialing code is "1" and US area-code, then charge $$$ per minutes. 

What's wrong?

Hello again,

@JimmyVancouver wrote:

..: "If dialing code is "1" and area-code are belongs to US area-code", then block it"...

That would have to occur before calls connect.

@JimmyVancouver wrote:..If you call dialing code is "1" and US area-code, then charge $$$ per minutes. ..

That can occur anytime after calls connect to the end of billing cycle.

@Cawtau wrote:...While it might seem reasonable to block area codes, it's not feasible. Within the NANP, there are at least 380 area codes -- 338 outside of Canada. Significant resources would be required to scan through the area codes prior to every call. In addition, as populations grow, area codes are continually being added.

Even with the use of computers, having to scan through that many area codes prior to every call would result in significant connection delays. Customers generally expect their calls to connect immediately without any delay.

Cheers

Hello again @JimmyVancouver,

It's not an excuse the calls are blocked at the country code level, not the area code level that's the limitations of the service restrictions.