cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit check

new_IMmigrant
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

When i ordered my sim, i specifically asked for credit check and asked whether you will doit, but your very respectful (lying) customer service rep george said no, and i asked multiple times in recorded call. but he said NO, but he still did it. 
please let me know if there is omudsman i can contact to,or my available route is legal as per previous case .

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2013/2013fc1103/2013fc1103.html

DO not lie to new immigrants or customers. 

2 REPLIES 2

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @new_IMmigrant

I'll send you a PM so we can take a look at this together. 

Talk to you soon!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello New_IMmigrant,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that there appears to be a misunderstanding with regards to how things have progressed. I do not know what was said during your conversation with the customer service representative. However, whether or not a credit check is required would depend on the type of service entered. Obtaining post-paid services will likely require the check. On the other hand, pre-paid services often do not require any credit checks.

Since a SIM could either be used with post-paid or pre-paid plans, ordering one would not require a credit check. However, if you proceeded to activate that SIM for post-paid services, that would have required the credit check and/or security deposit.

I am not very well-versed the all of the details in that case you provided. However, it appears one important factor was that the credit check was performed one month prior to installation of services and the signing of agreement, not that a check was not required. If you activated your SIM for post-paid services, the agreement would have likely authorised the credit check.

I understand you might be new to Canada, however, I think the requirement of a credit check for post-paid services extends outside of Canada as well. When I lived in Ireland, the mobile providers there refused to offer me a post-paid plan because I had no local credit history. My credit history in Canada was great, but in Ireland it was non-existant. They wouldn't even allow me to provide a security deposit.

If you would like to address your concerns, you can share your concern here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers