cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

being abroad, not primary account holder, need to change the plan? help!

jccmiley
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I got this number from fido in 2017. Surprisingly , I found that this number was used to be someone else's when I registered an app with this new number. Apparently, the previous user abandoned this number and Fido sold it to me, but the account holder is still the previous user, which i cannot understand. It's very inconvenient for me to change the plan online. For now , due to Covid-19, I cannot go back to Canada to change the plan; I spend $50/month just for a few texts. I really need to change the plan.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jccmiley,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand how that might be concerning. However, rest assured that you are likely the account holder. At this stage, unless they roll out a new area code overlay, all phone numbers are recycled. There simply aren't enough new phone numbers in the pool. However, once a service has been cancelled, those associated phone numbers are place out-of-circulation for a specified period of time before they can be used once again. While there may be the occasional person attempting to call the previous owner, it's likely because they were not notified of the previous ownder's change of phone number. Once the phone numbers are back in circulation, they are not associated with any accounts. The phone number you received is for your account.

Rather, it's possible that you selected subscriber rather than account holder when you registered for My Account. You would need to contact customer service to change your account status. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers