cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apple watch series 3/4 supported?

phanthomz
I'm a contributor level 1

After the apple announcement I noticed that the Fido site has the new iphone on the main page...does thie mean that e-sims will be supported and I can add my watch?

40 REPLIES 40

jef34355
I'm a participant level 1

is the Apple Watch series 4 able to support wifi calls? I have wifi calling enabled on my iPhone X, but don’t see the option to add the watch on my iPhone or on the watch app. 

Also I would echo much of the frustration with Fido/Rogers on this thread re:support for cellular on Apple Watch. I am strongly considering switching to bell or Telus, not to mention I sold all my Rogers stock because of this issue.

Hey @jef34355,

Thank you for taking the time and reaching out to us with this.

The Wi-Fi calling would not technically work on the Watch in this particular case, as it isn’t directly connected to our network. It is connected to your device as an accessory.

I hope this helps clear things up a little.

JcTcom

Hi .

Carl here.

Another long term Fido customer (18 years or more).  Planning on leaving if we don't get support for Apple Watch. 

Like the others I won't be going to Rogers as I am pissed that as the owners of Fido they have chosen to get this service for their clients but no Fido clients.

So I will be moving on the Bell or one of the others that are supporting the apple watch.  But not Rogers.

Carl

FidoPhilP
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @JcTcom!

It would be sad to see you go, seeing as you've been a loyal customer with us for more than 18 years. I would love to be able to give you another answer, but currently we do not support the Apple Watch. If we have any update, we will definitely advertise it loud and clear. 

Assyrian

It really is a shame, I've been with Fido for 7+ years, now I have to leave it just because they won't support the apple watch. It's really disappointing, I've been consistently checking the forum for 7+ months and waited specifically for the Series 4 in hopes they would support. I really don't want to leave, but there's no point for me to have a cellular watch that I can't use! Sad

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @phanthomz!

We will not support the Apple Watch for now. We expect a lot of excitement around the new iPhone models and that's what we're focusing on! Although it's not compatible with our LTE network, you can still buy the Apple Watch and pair it with a compatible iPhone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi! Check out apple.com/ca/watch for more details Smiley

stoper42

It's hard to understand when Fido is owned by Rogers (this is no secret), and Rogers supports the cellular watches now. So why cant this be adopted to Fido since all the celluar services are shared? It would be great to have a clear technical answer as to why this can't happen, my guess is that it has to do with money.

not_a_fan

Finally had my conversation with the “win back” team.  Result is that no, they cannot commit to supporting the cellular watch 4 (or 3).

Did some research of the flanker brands of other carriers and none of those support Apple Watch cellular either.  If you want support, there is no alternative but big 3, not their subsidiaries.

Legacy40k
I'm a participant level 3

I noticed this too. Virgin, Koodo and Fido don't support it - even though they are all capable of supporting it from a hardware perspective.

If I'm going to have to switch carries for support - it's sure not going to be to Rogers, who was just recently ranked the worst of the big 3 for wireless data speeds in Canada. I'll probably just wait until Bell or Telus has a good promotion on and then switch - it's tough to beat my Fido plan though. 

techdj

What the heck are you guys doing at FIDO! The Apple watch cellular has been out for over a year plus now. You guys are useless! I been a customer for many years now. It really makes me think weather I should even stay with this stupid cellular carrier. You and Rogers have been jerking us customers for over a year now. Now Apple announces a series four and still you cant support it, THATS ! Rogers is going to support it now after a year later, you CAN'T! ! I've had my Apple Watch Series 3 and I have been able to use it. This is unaccecptable. Yes, I know the Apple Watch can connect through bluetooth, but thats not the point of the cellular version!!!!! Are we going to have to wait till Series 5 to see you guys support the Cellular version????

Aleesha
I'm a participant level 2

Hi! I’m planning to get the Apple Watch Series 4. I’m just doing some research here. 

Does this mean I would not be able to use the cellular function under Fido? If so, what would be the point of sticking with fido?

Please advise. 

Hey @Aleesha

There are plenty of reasons to sticking with Fido. You can see a few of these right from here.  Smiley 

However, at this time we're not supporting this service so it wouldn't connect to our network this way. As confirmed in the accepted solution to this thread, you can still buy an Apple Watch and pair it with a compatible iPhone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi!

Aleesha

Regardless....the fact remains you are not compatible with a desirable product as the Apple Watch. The whole point of the device is to leave it in the car and go run for 10K without having to carry your phone. It’s pointless without the cellular feature. 

Thank you but I’ve read the reviews on social media and have decided to look into the other three carriers which provide ALL the services Apple Watch has, thus making Fido less competitive.

Hey @Aleesha! I understand where you're coming from here. We'd certainly be sad to see you go.

If you would like to discuss this further, you can reach us through our channels here or we can send you a PM. Smiley

RBF1973

If there is a demand, market dynamics would drive to this demand and iWatch LTE connectivity would be the result.  The fact that all subsidiaries of the Big Three don’t support iWatches on their networks is extremely fishy. It is almost certainly to push customers to buy the 90$/month plans from the Big Three instead of the 60$/month plans from the subsidiaries. High probability of collusion. Someone should complain to the ombudsman. 

PatrickButler

Figure it out Fido, I’ve been thinking of leaving, the fact that I can’t use Apple Watch cellular is pushing me a little further. 20yr customer. 

Hey @PatrickButler! Welcome to the community and thank you very much for your 20 years of loyalty. Smiley

If there's any change in the future, we'll announce it loud and clear.

pit0036

this is BS.. you've been saying this for almost 2 years now. You have a lot of angry customers including myself. 

I guess it's really up to the company if they want to compete with the big three, or stay near the bottom with the rest of the sister companies. 14 year customer... 

FidoJo1
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @pit0036

Your loyalty means everything to us! 

We can understand how important this is for our customers.

We'll keep the thread updated if there's any changes. 

Darin72

I agree this is terrible that Fido is not supporting Apple Watch esim one year later.  Time to switch carriers.