Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Calling being disabled/not registering correctly

AshArcher
I'm a participant level 2

Hello,

I have an LG G7 Thinq, purchased from Fido in 2019, on a plan that includes data. Due to poor cell reception where I live (in Victoria, BC) I have to use Wi-Fi Calling when at home, otherwise the reception makes the phone useless.

However, the Wi-Fi Calling feature gets disabled often, and as of right now I haven't been able to re-enable it. I go through the steps -

open my dialer

click options

click "WiFi Calling" to turn it on, it turns on but states "Not Registered"

I get the "WiFi Calling Activation" pop-up and click Activate. 

That takes me to a page that shows the address I have registered for E911, at this point I can re-register and get the "Success" verification

Then I go back to enable Wi-Fi Calling

Once enabled it tells me that it's "Not Registered" and prompts me to go through all of the steps again... failing to actually enable Wi-Fi Calling every time.

I can't use cell network in my home to call people or take calls, and the Fido won't recognise my phone as registered for Wi-Fi Calling, despite me having gone through the whole Activation and registration of address for E911.

At this point, either Fido need to fix the bugs in their servers to recognize registered devices, or let me out of my contract as they're unable to actually provide adequate cell service where I live.

7 REPLIES 7

Brentbatten

Is there a definitive solution to this issue? I had to reset my network setings this morning when troubleshooting a data issue with fido on my iphone 12 pro, wifi calling had been working prior to this, now when I try to enable it, it asks me to contact fido to enable it on my account. They had me try a bunch of different trouble shooting and no luck so had to open a ticket to send to their network team. Super frustrating. 

Hey @Brentbatten!  Since you mentioned that a ticket has been created to find the root cause of the situation, we would suggest getting in touch with our Customer Service team to follow up on its resolution. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @AshArcher,

Can you try restarting your phone and see if that helps, you can also try doing a network reset.

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings > System .
  2. Tap Restart & reset .
  3. Tap Network settings reset.
  4. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  5. Tap Reset Settings.

AshArcher

Thanks for the tips @KAPABLE-K!

I gave up on this yesterday morning, after a couple of hours of trying with different scenarios (I have 12 activation codes in my texts) and it not working. However, sometime in the afternoon it re-enabled itself and currently works correctly.

This highlights that the issue could be between Fido's servers and the handset, specifically in how they handshake and confirm activation - once you've gone through the steps, the handset is looking for an immediate confirmation of activation, but Fido's servers won't authenticate the activation for a few hours, leaving the phone to push for activation again until it gets the activation confirmation.

As this is handled on the handset by Fido software (when you try to activate after enabling Wi-Fi Calling, the process is done through Fido's software), I firmly believe these issues are caused by something on Fido's side, not the handset.

Hey there @AshArcher

Were you able to resolve it and is that feature running smoothly now?

Don't hesitate to reach out to us at these channels as well if you need any assistance. We can go over some troubleshooting steps together to get to the bottom of this.

AshArcher

Hey @FidoSaad, the issue is resolved for now, as it re-enabled itself. However, this isn't the first time this has happened (it's the third), so I have no doubt that it will be disabled again and some point and I'll have to go through the same situation again.

Thanks for the update,

In case this happens again, you can reach out to us so we can investigate the incident Smiley