cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many spoof calls on my new phone ?

EDWARDPHONEUSER
I'm a participant level 1

I am getting constant daily fake calls from numbers spoofed on the fido network.  All from the area code (289).  All similar to my phone number/  " hello this is Linda Davis ...." all are fraudulent attempts to extort money or information.  Why does Fido allow this behaviour ?  How can i report this ?  Of course I have already blocked every caller but that does not work.

5 REPLIES 5

Jz86

Same to me and my friends who is using Fido.  I registered a Fido number in Fido store in mall. Starting get fraud calls after active the sim about half day later. I even did not use or give my number to anyone yet, but they even know my language and nationality. Now 2-4 fraud calls per day. Wondering if Fido sells customers numbers to market. Sad

Moff-Gideon

Koodo has call control. If you have it enabled no one can get through when they call you if your number is not on your custom safe callers list and all other callers must verify and input a number to get through 

coolspot
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

"Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them"

This is incorrect - carriers can implement network analysis to determine whether or not a call is legitimate or not. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon have all implemented such technology to block fraudlent calls.

AT&T Call Protect: https://www.att.com/help/robocalling/

Verizon Call Filter: https://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/robocalls

T-Mobile Scam Shield: https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/scam-shield

There is also technology from other provides that do network level checks to determine if a call is legitimate or not, but those are likely too costly for a consumer carrier.

As for "STIR/SHAKEN" this may block some spam calls, but scammers will just order a legitimate line from a semi-legit/shady VOIP provider to get a valid STIR/SHAKEN certificate. 

STIR/SHAKEN isn't the solution unfortunately.

Hello Coolspot,

@coolspot wrote:...

This is incorrect - carriers can implement network analysis to determine whether or not a call is legitimate or not. ...

Unfortunately, those services are not preventing SPAM or SCAM calls from spoofed phone numbers. Many of those offerings are based on customer reported possible SPAM calls. Their offerings are apps or they suggest third-party apps. While such apps can be useful for some people, it doesn't determine whether a call is legitimate. They take user reports and identifies possible SCAM calls base on the number of reports. Since many of the SPAM or SCAM calls are from spoofed phone numbers, many phone numbers reported to those apps belong to innocent people. The mobile providers cannot block those numbers at the network level without actual evidence of nefarious activity as it would impede those faultless people's access to their services. That's why those services are app-based. People can opt to use the apps and the owners of the spoofed numbers can use their services. Peope using the apps should be aware that there may be some legitimate calls which are blocked by those apps.

Some providers have implemented a system requiring a caller to respond by pressing a specified number in an attempt reduce automated calls. Again, while that system can be useful for some people, there are many legitimate automated calls (ie libraries, pharmacies, doctor appointment reminder systems, etc) which would be blocked by that system.

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello EDWARDPHONEUSER,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here and here). Reporting those phone numbers do not lead back to the spammers/scammers. Any filter would block innocent customers from accessing their services, not the spammers/scammers.

The spammers/scammers will tend to spoof phone numbers within their target range to make potential victims think the calls are coming from people they might know. As explained in another post, it's actually rather simple to target customers from a particular provider. All they need is to choose an area code and prefix for their chosen target and sequentially dial those numbers from 0000 to 9999. Since the calls appear to come from similar numbers,  it's called Neighbour spoofing (see here). In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls, called mirroring.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). While there have been some delays as to its implementation, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers