cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do if a Fido customer service showed discriminated me.

TonyZhou11
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am traveling now.

That’s why I called your customer service and requested to suspend my Fido plan.

I felt very disappointed to know that I couldn’t suspend my plan because that I got a 2 year contract.

However, I acted properly still. I told the customer service that what I wanted, a maxed suspend period and my disappointments about Fido.

The issue came out when I told her that I wanted the cheapest plan so I could make decision later on. 

The Fido customer service started to attack me by pointing out that I only stated using Fido in 2014 (which was wrong too. I don’t remember but it’s earlier). And then she came out :” I got where you come from.”

I told her that I came from Canada because I’ve been in Canada for 13 years. I didn’t think that I only started using Fido only in 2014 and I was in Rogers for many years too.

She told me that Rogers was another firm and not actually related to Fido.

I didn’t know what to argue. I didn’t want an argument. I came to change my plan and to fix my issues. 

I did feel a lot of negative attitude toward me. I especially didn’t like the discrimination part.

Chinese Canadian is not a Canadian or what? I am proud of my Chinese culture and I wish Fido can respect all cultures. Canada is a multicultural country. I am sure that I’m not the only one being offended by your customer service. Fido should be a company focuses on business too. 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello again,

I re-read your post today...

@TonyZhou11 wrote:..And then she came out :” I got where you come from.”...

Did you feel that the customer service was saying that they think you're not from Canada? Obviously, I wasn't a part of the conversation, but I don't think that was their intention. The phrase "I get where you're coming from.." is often used as a show of understanding of the other person's point of view. If you provided valid concerns, they could understand your concerns -- 'I understand your point of view' or 'I get where you're coming from'. The phrase has no bearing on where people actually come from.

However, even if the customer service representative understood your concerns, the stipulations regarding temporary suspension and changing plans while on contract apply to everyone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello TonyZhou11,

I'm sorry to hear the you felt like you were discriminated against. However, it is not possible to add the temporary suspension if you're on contract (see here). That stipulation applies to everyone.

@TonyZhou11 wrote:...The issue came out when I told her that I wanted the cheapest plan so I could make decision later on....

Are you saying you wanted to change your plan to a cheaper plan? If you're currently on contract, you'll have to buy-out your contract if you wish to change your plan to a plan without subsidy. That is, you'll have to pay off the balance of your phone before switching to a BYOP plan. You could change to a different plan within the same subsidy category (ie Large to large; Small to small) without having to pay off the balance, though.

If you are considering paying the balance of your phone and ending your contract, you could then get the temporary suspension.

I do not know what was discussed between yourself and the customer service representative that made you feel discriminated against. However, the stipulations regarding the temporary suspension and changing plans while on contract apply to everyone.

If you would like to re-discuss your options, you will need to contact customer service so they can access your account. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers