Voicemail Text Notification

I'm a Contributor Level 2 gcrmt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Voicemail Text Notification

This is something that I've always been puzzled about. Been with Fido for nearly 12years now and I still find it odd that when a voicemail is left Fido sends out a text message (18) to the cell phone rather than having the cell phone activate the voicemail icon built into the phone. What's the reasoning behind this?

Accepted Solution

Re: Voicemail Text Notification

Hey @ChicoQuente!

Thanks for posting Smiley

We'd love to help out with this, and I'd love to clarify what's going on!

All our newer plans come with mini voicemail. This option allows you to save and have up to 3 messages in your voicemail inbox. It's not a visual voicemail so the little indicator for a voicemail will not pop up as you need to call in and listen to the messages. To let you know you have a new voicemail, we send you a text message to notify you. 

If you wanted to benefit from the visual voicemail feature that your iPhone offers, we do offer that option as well! You can add our $7 value pack and enhance your plan with awesome features including visual voicemail for iPhone! The value pack will give you:

- Name Display (to add on to your regular call display)

- Premium Voicemail-To-Text with 35 voice messages  or iPhone visual voicemail

- US & International Premium Calling Rate to mobile and landline phones (just 1 cent a minute to the US, and other countries start at 2 cents per minute!) detailed rates can be found here :

- WhoCalled

- 2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes

If you'd like us to add this option for you, you can contact us through any method found here or let us know and we can send you a PM right here on the community!

I hope this clears it all up and that this info was helpful Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 52
I'm a Participant Level 1 jpn
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hey, is there a way to turn off the text message notification feature? It seems a bit redundant to me to receive a text message and a voicemail notication.

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 52

Hey @jpn,

The notification system depends on your plan and voicemail option. Our voicemail & packages have changed over the years, and not all of them have the same notification system. 

If the voicemail you have set up sends both, it is sadly not possible to have the text message notification turned off. 

Let us know if you need anything else.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 52
I'm a Participant Level 1 Zolerath

I'm getting these 1(8) texts when I get a voicemail too. My phone is an unlocked iPhone 7. I came over from Rogers and never had this issue, always received a red circle indicating I had a VM.

What do I have to do to get the red circle notification of a voicemail? The texts are not helpful in reminding me I have a voicemail. I have no desire for VVM or to pay $5/mo more.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 52
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Zolerath & welcome to the Community!

Have you already tried resetting your phone or network settings?

Let me know. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 52
I'm a Participant Level 1 SueM1

I have the same problem as everyone else. iPhone 7+ from Rogers. Just switched to Fido. No red VM indicator and only receive texts notifications that I have VM. I’ve been on phone with Fido tech support, Apple tech support with senior advisor. We’ve done everything including complete restore. 

Nothing working. 

Just switched to Fido, I’m wondering if it was worth the switch just to save $12/mo.  I’m regretting it. I’ve spent all afternoon on this problem and I see I’m not the only person with this same problem. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 52
Former Moderator FidoKija
Former Moderator

Hey there! Thanks so much for joining us and welcome to the community. Smiley 

If I understand correctly, you're not able to receive a notification from your voicemail application. Correct? 

Are you using a Fido phone? When did it start happening exactly? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 36 of 52
I'm a Participant Level 1 playbak01

Hi All,

I joined community to request a fix to this as well... Recently I switched from Telus. Whenever I missed a call and received a voicemail, I'd always get the red dot/node over green phone app and voicemail icon within. (Always on latest iOS, currently have an iPhone 😎

Note: With Fido a node pops up for missed calls, but not for the voicemail.

This is extremely problematic as I'll see the voicemail text message but maybe can't get to it right away, then I'll get other texts that push that message down and I forget about the voicemail completely! It's happened to me several times already.

Having the red node showing until the voicemail is listened to is a much better solution and a constant reminder that you have a message waiting in your voicemail.

Receiving a text message as additional notification would be fine. But not having the red nodes makes the text messages almost useless. I'm in Ontario and Telus had it working without issue I found, so I don't see why Fido/Rogers couldn't do the same... and reading all the technical responses in this post didn't really convince me otherwise.

Really hoping this gets implemented sooner rather than later. Many thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 37 of 52
I'm a Participant Level 3 a2younis
I'm a Participant Level 3

I also have the same problem, ever since I switched to Fido a few months back.

I have an Essential phone running Android (8.1). I never had this problem before while on Chatr with this same phone. Also never had this problem with Chatr/Mobilicity or Rogers with many other phones.

I have tried support twice (once via chat, once via phone) and they did not know how to fix it. They didn't seem to even have heard of this as a problem.

Can one of the Fido employees in this thread please PM me as well so I can get this fixed?

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 38 of 52

Hey a2younis! 

Welcome to the Community. 

Sadly, this is not something that we can change.

You will receive a text message to let you know when you have a new voicemail, unless you have the iPhone with the Visual Voicemail feature.

You can check out the solution above for more info!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 39 of 52

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm new to this forum and don't know how it works exactly. When you say to check the solution above, I guess you mean the post by FidoNick?

In it, he says:

"It's not a visual voicemail so the little indicator for a voicemail will not pop up as you need to call in and listen to the messages."

I do not expect/want support for Visual Voicemail. In the past (with Chatr & Rogers) I never had Visual Voicemail, but still, I had a notification instead of a text message. I think you already know that's what I mean, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page, as it seems different from FidoNick's response.

Further, he says I could pay to add Visual Voicemail, which of course I don't want, since I have no iPhone. But is he also saying that if I did get that $5 package (on the phone they told me it's $7), that the notification would work instead of the text message?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 40 of 52
Moderator (inactive) FidoRachel
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @a2younis,

The solution can be found here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 41 of 52

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Yes, that link you sent is the post I was referring to in my last post.

But, unless there is something I am not undestanding...our usage of the term "solution" differs.

To be clear, are you saying that

1. The post that you linked by FidoNick actually shows a solution on how to make it work so that I see the standard "cassette tape" notification instead of the text message? If so, can you be specific (is it the $5 upgrade, because from my understanding, he doesnt actually say that).

Or

2. Are you referring to the "solution" as in it's an "answer", and the answer is that it is not possible?

And it seems I'm not the only one confused. There are several replies after FidoNick's reply in June 2017, where other members of this forum seem to not understand how to make it work right (or if it is even possible).

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 42 of 52
Moderator (inactive) FidoRachel
Moderator (inactive)

In this case the solution is the answer to the question, but in other cases it can be steps detailing how to do something. 

Here's how the voicemail works depends on the phone: 

• If you have a mini voicemail, you'll receive a SMS letting you know about the message. 
  • If you have an iPhone and a Visual Voicemail, you'll see a red dot on your phone icon. 
  • If you have an Android with a Premium Vocemail, you'll receive a transcript of the voicemail by text message (sent as an MMS).

Let us know which phone and voicemail you have! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 43 of 52

Ok thank you.

So basically, the answer is that Fido somehow doesn't support a pretty basic mechanism to give notifications for Voicemail, that basically every other provider supports.

Anyawy, not that big of a deal I guess. I can live with text messages instead of a proper notificaiton. Just seems strange.

Thanks for the clarification in any case!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 44 of 52
I'm a Participant Level 2 ydrolet
I'm a Participant Level 2

I see that I am not the only one that finds this annoying.

I vote for the idea that Fido/Rogers implement proper support for the equivalent of message-waiting indicator (MWI) on mobile phones.

In other words, when a new voicemail is left in the client's mailbox, the Fido/Rogers voicemail system (even the most basic one) should trigger on the client's phone (Android & iPhone) the usual cassette notification similar to :

voicemail_icon.png

instead of sending a normal SMS message coming from the number "18" that contains this :

voicemail_sms.png

Could Fido/Rogers developers take a look at it and fix it?

Thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 45 of 52