cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail Text Notification

gcrmt
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

This is something that I've always been puzzled about. Been with Fido for nearly 12years now and I still find it odd that when a voicemail is left Fido sends out a text message (18) to the cell phone rather than having the cell phone activate the voicemail icon built into the phone. What's the reasoning behind this?

59 REPLIES 59

a2younis
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Ok thank you.

So basically, the answer is that Fido somehow doesn't support a pretty basic mechanism to give notifications for Voicemail, that basically every other provider supports.

Anyawy, not that big of a deal I guess. I can live with text messages instead of a proper notificaiton. Just seems strange.

Thanks for the clarification in any case!

ydrolet
I'm a participant level 2

I see that I am not the only one that finds this annoying.

I vote for the idea that Fido/Rogers implement proper support for the equivalent of message-waiting indicator (MWI) on mobile phones.

In other words, when a new voicemail is left in the client's mailbox, the Fido/Rogers voicemail system (even the most basic one) should trigger on the client's phone (Android & iPhone) the usual cassette notification similar to :

voicemail_icon.png

instead of sending a normal SMS message coming from the number "18" that contains this :

voicemail_sms.png

Could Fido/Rogers developers take a look at it and fix it?

Thanks!

developer300
I'm a participant level 1

Fido and Rogers have the same network. Message Waiting Notification works on Rogers but it does not on Fido. Most likely this is not by accident. My guess is that the Rogers/Fido marketing team decided to position Fido brand with having a subpar voicemail experience compared to their Rogers brand. Sad

FidoKija
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey ydrolet! 

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll forward your feedback. Smiley 

ChicoQuente

I am having the same issues and am quite irritated by it.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, purchased unlocked directly from the Apple store upon release in Fall of 2016. To clarify it has NEVER been locked to a carrier. At the time of purchase I was with Telus in Ontario. Whenever I had a voicemail the little red indicator with a number would appear on the voicemail portion of the "phone" app. I switched over to Fido in December of 2016 and since then this indicator has never once appeared. I get this: "Voice     Msg notice Total: 1 (0 urg.)" message from "18" whenever I get a voicemail. This is extremely annoying as sometimes if I don't notice the text but launch the app or dismiss my notifications I have no idea there is a voicemail sitting there waiting for me. How do I fix this issue? It worked perfectly fine with Telus but not at all with Fido.

Hey @ChicoQuente!

Thanks for posting Smiley

We'd love to help out with this, and I'd love to clarify what's going on!

All our newer plans come with mini voicemail. This option allows you to save and have up to 3 messages in your voicemail inbox. It's not a visual voicemail so the little indicator for a voicemail will not pop up as you need to call in and listen to the messages. To let you know you have a new voicemail, we send you a text message to notify you. 

If you wanted to benefit from the visual voicemail feature that your iPhone offers, we do offer that option as well! You can add our $7 value pack and enhance your plan with awesome features including visual voicemail for iPhone! The value pack will give you:

- Name Display (to add on to your regular call display)

- Premium Voicemail-To-Text with 35 voice messages  or iPhone visual voicemail

- US & International Premium Calling Rate to mobile and landline phones (just 1 cent a minute to the US, and other countries start at 2 cents per minute!) detailed rates can be found here :

- WhoCalled

- 2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes

If you'd like us to add this option for you, you can contact us through any method found here or let us know and we can send you a PM right here on the community!

I hope this clears it all up and that this info was helpful Smiley

brianw1

When someone leaves a voicemail for me there is no indicator on my phone (S7), I only get a text message saying that there is a voicemail. How can I turn on the voicemail icon?

Thanks!

Hey @brianw1,

Welcome to the Community!

I've moved your post here since it treats the same subject and should help with your question Smiley

Let us know if you need anything else.

brianw1

There doesn't seem to be a fix though. The person that replied above seems to be confused with the voicemail to text feature that would transpose the voicemail into a text message instead of having to call into the voicemail system. 

mirkokojotovski

I am having similar issues with "Cassette tape icon" not showing when I receive new VM (uper left corner of the screen). I have lg g4, Android 6.0. I do get sms message stating that there is a new voicemail, but that is something that is easily missed, especialy if I get multiple sms messages daily (which is the case). I tried using ROGERS sim with my LG G4, and that funcionality is there. I do see "Cassette tape" with ROGERS SIM.

My voicemail was reset by FIDO, they even replaced my SIM card with new one - no avail.

I went to FIDO store and tried different (FIDO) android phone and it still does not work.

Phone is unlocked (originaly ROGERS) and according to TELUS techs, that is the reason this functionality does not work.

Not verry happy with the fact that Fido is using that card: Not original FIDO phone, cannot support it. They suggested that I purchase new phone from them??!?!?  Another suggestion was to call LG and deal with them. Anyone out there with FIDO LG G4 phone? Do you get "cassette tape icon" if there if you have a VM?

Not very professional way to deal with the clients. Everyting points to FIDO network issue, but they will not own it...

I am contemplating taking my 3 lines somwhere else, not happy...

Hey @mirkokojotovski and thank you for using the Community.

Sorry to see you have all that trouble with your phone.

And we certainly don't want to lose you as a customer.

When it's an unlocked device like you mentionned, there are certain features that might not work properly on your device.

This might be the reason this happens with your voicemail notification.

I would be happy to go over your account to see what can be done. I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon Smiley

mirkokojotovski

thank you for your reply.

I would agree with you if that same functionality was working when I tried it in the store.

As I mentioned in my original post, I've went to your Rideu Ctr store (Ottawa) and ask them to try. Guys were very helpful and they let me use my card in one of the phones in the store. It did not work. As much as I am concerned, that completely removes your reasoning. 5 min ago I tried using my father's VIRGIN SIM and it did work. "Cassette tape" icon is there if ROGERS and VIRGIN SIM is used. 

I am wondering if you have an access to FIDO Android device? does it works for you? It is simple test. I hope I'm not asking too much. 

Once more, thatnk you for your reply.

I received your PM.

Talk to you soon Smiley

princeaha
Hi @FidoKenny, I'm having the same issue. Is there a resolution? I have a OnePlus One

Hey @princeaha

Welcome to the Community. Smiley 

I'm sad to see you're experiencing issues with the voice messaging service. Can you tell us if you are receiving text notifications for each new voicemail?

princeaha
I am. It's from 18. I would prefer not to get a text message and get the voicemail "cassette tape" looking indicator on the status bar that directly connect me to voicemail once I tap it. Instead of me looking at my text message, then opening my dialer app and pressing 1. I never had this issue with Telus.

Thank you for the clarification @princeaha

I am going to send you a PM so we can take a closer look at your voicemail option together! Smiley 

FrancoisL

Hi Fido,

I have the same issue. How can we fix it?

Thanks,

Francois

Welcome to the community  @FrancoisL! Can I know which phone you're currently using and if you can test out the issue on a different phone? Smiley

Marc222

Hi,

I have a Galaxy S7 (unlocked Canadian version) and I too prefer the notifiction instead of a text message. Its actually a must.

How can I "enable" it ?

Thanks.

Marc

Anonymous
Not applicable

For as long as I've been with Fido, The SMS message from +18 has always been the default VM notification method, under the standard voicemail platform I've always used.  I have never had Visual voicemail so I can not comment specifically on the other mailbox platforms.