Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Mail and Managing text messages without a data plan

DL79
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi

I have two questions on using my phone.

1.  Voice mail - It used to be that to retrieve voice mails or voice messages, we need to dial 1 and enter a code.  the 1 does not work anymore.  Is there a different way of retrieving messages now?

2.  I don't have a data plan so when people send me a group text or picture messages, I can't read them.  Is there another way to do it so I can read it?  

Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated.

DL79 

10 REPLIES 10

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @DL79

Did @KAPABLE-K and @patrickchan suggestions help?

Let us know! Smiley

DL79

I asked @KAPABLE-K further question; but didn't quite understand @patrickchan's suggestion.

My no.#1 question is now ok.  i was just not doing it correctly.

Thanks

DL79 

Hello @DL79,

Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) is for your picture messages, you need to turn on the data option on the phone so you can send and receive picture messages.

Just go to settings -> Connections -> Data Usage -> look for mobile data and make sure the toggle is on.

DL79

Hi @KAPABLE-K

Thanks for your post.  I guess I will need a data plan to make the picture messaging work.  Did everything you said and still not able to view the picture sent to me.  I also tried to view the group text sent to me and still didn't work.   Maybe because it was sent two days ago. 

Again, thanks.

DL79

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @DL79!

Do you still need help with this? 

The Community is here for you! 

@DL79 you don't need to have a data plan for it to work, where did you get the S6 from?

Hey @DL79!

You don't need a data plan in order to use MMS. You just need to make sure you have the settings properly imputed and also to turn on your data on your phone.

What kind of phone are you using at the moment?

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

make sure you are on the post paid monthy plan

1:

goto post to setup number setup steps iphone or android

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/postpaid-voice-messaging

goto post for number setup depends where you setup account

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/thread-id/3740

2:

this works for me, as i am post paid (and sender has to have post paid customer as well), without data plan, make sure you have new simcard (with LTE, and the mobile phone has to have LTE enable).

goto settings, connections, network mode, (change to gsm/hspa/lte) android ,

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @DL79,

1.  Voice mail - It used to be that to retrieve voice mails or voice messages, we need to dial 1 and enter a code.  the 1 does not work anymore.  Is there a different way of retrieving messages now?

It's still the same you need to press 1 to dial your voicemail, what phone do you currently have? You can also check the phone settings to confirm the Voicemail is properly setup. the Voicemail number should be +16478399169.

2.  I don't have a data plan so when people send me a group text or picture messages, I can't read them.  Is there another way to do it so I can read it?  

First you need to make sure your phone have the correct APN settings you can get that info here, also even though you do not have a data plan you need to have the data feature enable on the phone to receive the MMS. 

DL79

Thank you for your response.  I was able to do the APN settings but could not find where I should check the MMS portion.  I have a Samsung S6 phone. 

• Please insert the following APN settings:

APN Settings:

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn
    • If you have a LTE device, use the following setting: LTEMOBILE.APN

MMS (Picture & Video Messaging Settings):

• Leave the following fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password, Server