cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V30 Wifi calling

duncanmcleod77
I'm a contributor level 1

I just purchased two LG V30 from Fido.  On the device page it says it supports Wifi calling which is one of the main reasons why I purchased two of these phones.  When turning on wifi calling I get the text from Fido but then it just says "Looks like your device isn't eligible for Wi-Fi Calling.  Reach us at Fido.ca"

Soo....  What's going on here?

16 REPLIES 16

tenthrow
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hey there,

I also got my LG V30 (a couple of months ago) with the hopes of activating WIFi calling.  Back then, I was not able to register like you.  However, I don’t know if the system updates helped or Fido just finally allows the registration but I was able to successfully activate it on my Fido LG V30.

so my suggestion, try again! I have taken the latest Over the Air updates from the phones system/app updates page.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@tenthrow wrote:

Hey there,

I also got my LG V30 (a couple of months ago) with the hopes of activating WIFi calling.  Back then, I was not able to register like you.  However, I don’t know if the system updates helped or Fido just finally allows the registration but I was able to successfully activate it on my Fido LG V30.

so my suggestion, try again! I have taken the latest Over the Air updates from the phones system/app updates page.

Thank you so much for sharing @tenthrow and to solved this FYI @duncanmcleod77

duncanmcleod77

Seems good now!   Thanks!

Thanks for the update, @duncanmcleod77!

Wifi Calling is available on the LG V30 as of now! 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @duncanmcleod77, thanks for posting! Smiley

At the moment the Android devices purchased from Fido that support Wi-Fi calling are : 

• LG G4 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG G5 (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+

We're always looking to add more devices to that list and if anything ever changes the info can be seen that right here.

Can you let us know where you saw the LG V30 supports the service?

duncanmcleod77

Can you tell us if there are plans to support the V30 in the near future?  I see you support other LG devices so I don't know why the V30 isn't supported.   Can you tell us why?

It says it is supported right on the V30 device page on the Fido website.  When you expand technical specifications it says it is supported under connectivity section.   Is this not true then?

Hey @duncanmcleod77

The V30 will definitely support WI FI calling in the near future.

For now however, this device is not yet eligible for this feature.

As soon as there's a change, we will update this thread to let the Community know.

duncanmcleod77

That is great to hear.   Thanks so much.

duncanmcleod77

Any update to when this feature will be enabled?   How long does it typically take to enable for new devices?

Hey @duncanmcleod77!

The process really depends on the device so we can't provide an ETA as of now. We're working on bringing it to you ASAP Smiley 

We'll update you here when we have more info. 

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1
Hi happy New year! can we get an update please - Has this issue been resolved ?

Hey @Scooby-Doo, Happy New Year to you too! Very_Happy

The LG V30 does not support wi-fi calling at the moment. The devices that currently support it are the ones mentioned above.

Rest assured that Fido.ca will be updated if anything changes Smiley

duncanmcleod77

If the device doesn't support wifi calling then why does the device page STILL say it is supported?   I spent $2200 on two of these phones and wifi calling was the reason I chose this device over others.   I keep my devices a long time and I needed wifi calling this time around.   You can't expect people to dive into support articles for the exact models that support each feature when the device page itself says that it's supported.

If you gave us an actual ETA, whether that is one, two, three months down the road, or just flat out told us it isn't ever coming that would be better than stringing people along with quotes like it will be supported soon.

Hi friend @duncanmcleod77 There are 2-3 ways around the issue 1 via Fido provider available service you can use an unlimited phone plan ask a rep to drop you a PM to see on this option and get a deal on both your phones Wink 2 use a service such as Skype, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp or I recommend GoogleDuo for E2E on single calls. 3 There are more innovative IOT services and modes VOIP for what ever you want to do. I hope this helps a bit, Happy New year:dizzy:

@duncanmcleod77 wrote:

If the device doesn't support wifi calling then why does the device page STILL say it is supported?...

Hello Duncanmcleod77,

The technical specifications is just that: a list of the specifications of the phone. It also lists many bands and frequencies which Fido/Rogers do not use -- some aren't even used in North America! In addition, it also lists other features of the phone which do not require a mobile provider -- GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, camera...

The device does support Wifi-calling. Unfortunately, at this time, the network does not support Wifi-calling for that device. As noted above, it is not possible to provide an ETA as to when it might get supported.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

duncanmcleod77

No, it doesn't.  You can't honestly expect someone to read the device page, see that a feature is there and then not be surprised when it doesn't work.  You need special notes or something beside those features if you aren't going to support them. 

It's shocking how you can treat your customers so poorly.  If I did this at my business, if be out of business.