cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited video calling in plan

andrew77751
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, I have an unlimited video calling plan. How does it work? Which app do I use?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Andrew77751,

Welcome to the community!

Which plan do you have? While it's true that if you have unlimited calling and a voLTE compatible phone, you can make unlimited video calls to others with voLTE compatible devices -- the same as with any other calls as a part of your plan. However, I do not believe any plan details specify unlimited video calling per se.

Are you referring to unlimited video messaging? That would be rather different from video calling. Picture and video messaging refer to multimedia messaging service (MMS). Most plans specify unlimited SMS and MMS (data needs to be enabled for MMS). If you would like to send a video message, you attach a video to a text message. You should note that there are size limitations inherent in the SMS/MMS protocol so pictures and video cannot be very large. Most phones will automatically compress the pictures/video to fit the protocol. As such, the quality of video can be quite poor.

There are other messaging apps which allow for larger, better quality pictures and video to be sent. However, unlike MMS, the data within those messages counts against your data allocation.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

EdwardN
I'm a participant level 2

From the plan details of my 10gigs for $60 plan, it clearly states unlimited video *calling*, not messaging. So the question remains, using which app(s)?Capture+_2017-12-28-07-41-25.png

EdwardN

Found my own answer. Video calling is available for free using the phone app for customers of Rogers or Fido calling other Rogers or Fido customers as long as they are both using VoLTE enabled phones and are on the local network. So it's a somewhat limited feature.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @andrew77751,

Welcome to the community!

In order for it to work the other person you are calling needs to have a VoLTE compatible phone and service.

You do not need any special app for it to work.

You can get more info on VoLTE here.