Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown people calling saying they got missed calls from my fido number

viv19us
I'm a participant level 2

Hi Fido

From last few days Me and My Wifw both are having this issue. We get calls from unknown numbers and they say that they got multiple missed calls from our nunbers!! But we dont see any those numbers in our outgoing call logs!! This is really frustrating.

Is anybody also having similar issue?

7 REPLIES 7

Naderbl
I'm a participant level 1

I have the same problem, its very annoying 

SaiN

Same issue, What to do?

Boyka

Even I am facing this same issue. Its been going on from very long time and I feel that there no fix to this. I have contacted the customer support too

Hey @Boyka Smiley 
Welcome to the Community! 

As @Cawtau explained in this thread, Caller ID spoofing is difficult to fix, but there are some good tips to protect you against those calls here

We've recently implemented Spam Call Detect as well, which will hopefully help reduce these frustrating calls. 

Hope this helps! 

Tom1232

Yeah. I am having the same problem. This worries me. 

Hello Tom1232,

Welcome to the community!

I understand how the situation can be worrisome. However, the spammers/scammers are likely still using the same spoofed phone number scheme as mentioned previously in this thread. Unforunately, it appears as though they have reached your phone number as their phone number to spoof.

As mentioned previously, there is unfortunately not much that can be done to prevent phone numbers from being spoofed.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Viv19us,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you've received calls from people thinking you've been calling them. The calls are scammers or spammers using spoofed numbers. In your cases, they happen to have spoofed your phone numbers. Unfortunately, there isn't much providers can do to prevent SPAM calls. As you are aware, the numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people -- such as yourselves. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

Rest assured that it is unlikely your phone numbers have been hacked. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain prefixes are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). The spammers/scammers will often pick a phone number within that area code/prefix to spoof.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking as a measure to try to reduce the amount of nuisance calls. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers